Volunteer with Recreation
Based on Provincial public health measures, The City of Calgary closed all City-operated recreation facilities on Sunday, December 13th for at least four weeks. Calgary Recreation is not currently processing volunteer applications. We will review our operating status in January 2021.
We frequently recruit volunteers for a wide range of positions. From assisting instructors with programs and lessons to opportunities to support events such as Canada Day and New Year’s Eve. Volunteer opportunities change seasonally. Check back frequently to find the right fit for you.
The number of available positions vary by location and season. Some positions may require proof of certification.
Golf volunteer opportunities
Volunteer for the 2020 season.
Marshal and Greeter positions
The 2020 application form can be found in the Golf drop-menu below. Please review the details and return the application at your convenience.
Starting in March 2020. Returning volunteers from 2019 will be confirmed before recruiting new volunteers.
Applications are not prioritized based on submission date. Preference is given to individuals returning to the program. Only applicants who’s availability meets operation needs will be contacted.
Inquire about volunteering at one of our facilities in the following programs: skating, dance, sports, playschool, babysitting and sailing.
Inquire about assisting a certified swim instructor in a variety of the activities while in the pool. Volunteer duties will include interacting with the participants while helping them learn basic swim skills such as buoyancy and stoke development. Helping with equipment set up, take down and cleaning for the program will also be required.
- Pool assistant - swim lessons
- Pool assistant - leadership program
- Program assistant
Duties may include:
- Provide a positive and welcoming environment to our customers
- Help ensure safe practices are followed
- Assist with the equipment/supply needs and clean up
- Interact with customers (children, youth, adults)
- Communicate questions, suggestions and other feedback to supervisor
- Follow the swim instructor's direction and support lessons
Available at various City facilities.
Inquire about assisting a certified fitness trainer to administer personalized fitness programs for people with disabilities. Main volunteer duties may include helping participants get from the front doors into the fitness area, setting them up on the weight machines, collecting equipment and interacting with the participants in the gym setting.
- Knowledge of the weight room setting an asset but not mandatory as training is provided.
- Ability to work with a vulnerable population as the program contains a wide variety of disabilities (limitations, equipment, communication etc.)
Inquire about the Volunteer Guest Services Representative (GSR) program.
Inquire about assisting staff in delivering fun, active and creative programs to children and youth in our seasonal day camps, art camps, sailing classes and events. Play while you build on your experiences, develop your leadership skills and make a real difference in the life of a child or youth.
Volunteers will be responsible to assist the program staff with:
- providing a positive, safe and welcoming environment
- implementing arts/crafts, games and physical activities
- interacting with the children and youth while being a positive role model
- swim times included in the program (at the leisure centres and aquatic sites)
- most of all having fun with the children and youth
Available at various City facilities.
You’ll have fun while feeling good about giving back to the community. We offer training for our volunteer positions and there's the potential to turn a volunteer opportunity into a career path.
Note: some positions require experience and specialized knowledge or education.
Once you have filled in the online form or called 3-1-1 to volunteer, you will be contacted by a volunteer supervisor to discuss possible opportunities. A screening process will take place and it may include an interview, reference checks, and Police Information Check with Vulnerable Sector Search. Orientation and training will be provided before you begin.