16 Avenue N station
Centre Street N. and 16 Avenue N.
LRT Platform Type
- MAX Orange
- BRT North Central
- On-street bus stops
- Heated waiting areas
- Bike parking
- Centre Street Main Street with restaurants, shops and services
About the station
16 Avenue N. station is between the communities of Crescent Heights and Tuxedo Park and will be the end of the line for Stage 1. It is expected to be one of the busiest stations on the Green Line, outside the downtown core.
The station is within walking distance to homes and businesses in the area, providing another option for travelling to:
- Parks and rection centres
- Retail areas, restaurants and food services
- Community resources and job centres
At this station transit riders can connect to the rapid transit network:
- MAX Orange – connecting east to west across the north part of the city
- BRT – travelling to north central Calgary.
A station in this area will stimulate changes in the nearby neighbourhoods over time, including:
- Improvements to the streetscape and public spaces along Centre Street Street (wider sidewalks, trees, planters, bike racks, benches, etc.)
- More Transit Oriented Development (TOD)
In 2016, Green Line worked with the community and developer stakeholders to create a Crescent Heights/Tuxedo Park Transit Oriented Development (TOD) Concept Plan. Highlights of the plan included:
- Focusing development on Centre St N and 16 Ave NW/NE
- Supporting neighbourhood character
- Increasing connectivity to the open space network
- Enhancing conditions for future street character
See the Green Line Vision Report 2017 – pages 84-89
The TOD concept plan fed into further development of the North Hill Communities Local Area Plan. In 2018 public engagement on this plan started, and it was approved in June 2021.
New development around Green Line stations
A new LRT station will spur development in this area. For a list of current planning applications near this station view The City's Development Map. Green Line works closely with the Planning & Development department on land use and development near future LRT stations. For more information visit Building, Planning & Business.
Population, jobs and ridership within a 10 minute walk/800 m
- Population: 6,400
- Jobs: 3,500
- Ridership: 0
- Population: 7,600
- Jobs: 3,800
- Ridership: 4,400
- Population: 12,600
- Jobs: 4,700
- Ridership: 11,700