Free sand-salt mix for easier shoveling
A sand-salt mixture called pickle is available for individual use on sidewalks bordering private properties during the winter. Pickle helps breakdown snow and ice, making it easier for you to comply with the bylaw regulating snow and ice removal.
This is a free service but please note:
- Supply is available on a first-come, first-served basis, and there’s no guarantee any is available when you arrive.
- Limit your haul to one container per visit.
- Bring your own container (under 25 kg) and shovel.
Contractors: Please note that free sand-salt is for individual use only, not for contractors serving multiple customers. Also, if you’re removing shoveled snow you must have privately-owned space to store it. The City does not provide public land for snow storage. Dumping snow in the Bow and Elbow Rivers is not permitted due to contamination risks.
- EMS station #4 - 16 Moncton Road N.E. (North West side of building)
- Fire station #22 - 7199 Temple Drive N.E. (on South West corner)
- Fire station #32 - 800 Saddletowne circle N.E. (North of station)
- Road Maintenance District 8 - 840 32 Avenue Connector N.E.
- EMS station #6 - 1940 Westmount Blvd. N.W. (on North West corner)
- Fire station #10 - 1909 16th Avenue N.W. (South of lane and parking lot)
- Fire station #15 - 6328 35th Avenue N.W. (on the North West corner)
- Fire station #17 - 3740 32nd Avenue N.W. - temporarily unavailable due to construction
- Fire station #18 - 415 68th Avenue N.W. (across from fire station)
- Fire station #21 - 209 Silvergrove Drive N.W.
- Fire station #28 - 7925 Edgemont Boulevard N.W. (south of fire station)
- Fire station #40 - 12920 Symons Valley Road N.W.
- Road Maintenance District 2 - 85 Street at Bearspaw Dam Road N.W. (N.W. corner)
- Road Maintenance District 3 - 1650 25 Avenue N.W.
- Fire station #09 - 2515 78th Avenue S.E.
- Fire station #12 - 123 44th Street S.E. (on South West corner)
- Fire station #19 - 13807 Parkland Blvd. S.E.
- Fire station #23 - 2727 26th Avenue S.E. (on the North East corner)
- 271 Midpark Blvd. S.E. (on South East corner, former location of Fire station #26)
- Fire station #30 - 6 McKenzie Town Gate S.E. (on South West corner)
- Fire station #41 - 3790 Seton Drive S.E. (on the East side of the building)
- Road Maintenance District 7 - 5603 24 Street S.E.
- Fire station #08 - 1720 45th Street S.W. (on North West corner)
- Fire station #11 - 5536 4th Street S.W.
- Fire station #20 - 2800 Peacekeepers Way S.W. (adjacent to Richard Road)
- Fire station #24 - 2607 106th Avenue S.W. (on South East corner)
- Fire station #29 - 7027 Coach Hill Road S.W. (on South East corner boulevard)
- Road Maintenance District 5 - 33 Avenue, West of Crowchild Trail S.W. (Across from Golf Course)
- Road Maintenance District 6 - 340 Haddon Road S.W.
- Elkton Drive S.W. - west of 69 Street S.W.