Gravel Lane Repair Program
Preparations for the 2022 Gravel Lane Repair Program are underway. Please check back in early-June for schedule information on when your community will be serviced.
Every year, The City invests in maintaining gravel back lanes to improve mobility and conditions for Calgarians. The City maintains over 2,000 lane km of gravel back lanes. From mid-June to mid-October, The City inspects the gravel lane network and schedules repairs in priority order. The City uses an evaluation system to determine if gravel lanes require treatment and following inspection, crews complete repairs.
Signs that a gravel back lane needs maintenance may include:
- Severe potholes and ruts
- Insufficient drainage
- Low/high manhole covers
Typical repairs include:
- Lane grading to improve drainage and surface condition
- Addition of gravel
- Application of Calcium Chloride to control dust as necessary
- Compaction of the lane as necessary
Help us complete the annual program quickly and cost-effectively by removing any obstacles such as:
- Black, Blue, Green Carts*
- Cars, motor homes, trailers
- Construction bins, stored material
- Debris, excavated dirt piles
- Low-hanging tree branches
* When lane repairs occur on a scheduled collection day, please set your bins on the grass, driveway, boulevard or sidewalk next to the back lane, but not on the back lane as normal. Leave enough space around your cart to avoid any surrounding objects. If you can walk between and around your carts, you have allowed enough space.
If you notice issues in your lane that were not addressed during our program, let us know with a Service Request.