Pageantry Flag permit
Permits are required to install pageantry flags on City-owned street light poles. The City will only grant permits for pageantry flags to:
- City of Calgary departments
- Business Improvement Areas
- community associations
- to promote major public events
All banners on City street light poles must follow the temporary Signs Bylaw 29M97.
These banners must be approved by The City of Calgary and generally stay up for a period of two weeks. Each application is reviewed on a case-by-case basis. For detailed information on design requirements, sanctioned and restricted streetlights, and installation requirements, please see the Pageantry Flag Permit Guidelines.
How to apply
The application must include:
- A certificate of insurance with two million dollars of liability insurance and a 30-day cancellation clause naming the City of Calgary as co-insured for the period that the pageantry flags will be displayed. The applicant acknowledges that they are responsible for all damages to the structure(s) caused by the installation of their flags.
- Request on letterhead, indicating that the applicant is a City of Calgary business unit, community association, business improvement area (BIA), or for a major public event (e.g. The Calgary Stampede, Spruce Meadows, etc.)
- In the letter, the locations and number of pageantry flags you are requesting permission to install.
- An electronic copy (pdf) of a scaled detailed drawing conforming to the pageantry flag design and installation requirements. This drawing must demonstrate the exact dimensions, proposed artwork, construction material and mounting hardware/method must be submitted for review.
Pageantry flag permit applications are accepted via email at: email@example.com
|Number of Required Inspections||Cost|
$200 + GST
$350 + GST
Quote provided on request
All fees are non-refundable
$25 + GST, plus cost of inspections
- $200 + GST, 1-10 inspections
- $350 + GST, 11-499 inspections
- Quote provided upon request, more than 500 inspections
Minimum of four weeks to schedule and process.