Caution | State of local emergency renewed until May 24, 2021

Get Coronavirus (COVID-19) updates and information on closures, cancellations and service changes.

Coronavirus (COVID-19) updates View our closures and service changes

Newspaper Box and Hawking permit

This permit is only available to newspaper or magazine publication organizations. Companies who wish to place newspaper vending boxes on City roads right-of-way or to distribute newspapers on City property require a Newspaper Box and Hawking permit (hawking permit issued in conjunction with Newspaper Box permit only).

Please review City of Calgary Bylaw 20M88 for all definitions, conditions and restrictions for placement of vending boxes on the City roads right-of-way.

How to apply

Once you register for a myID, you will be able to log into ePermits to apply. If you need help or additional explanation when using the ePermits website, please see the ePermits frequently asked questions.

Permit costs

  • Sites near Transit locations: $79.75 + GST/box
  • Other locations: $53.20 + GST/box

24 hours a day, seven days a week using your City of Calgary myID


$53.20 + GST/box

$79.75 + GST for sites near Transit.


Minimum of four business days to process.

Related information