Waste diversion for businesses and organizations
As of November 1, 2017, businesses and organizations in Calgary must have waste diversion programs in place. This includes all waste created by your business: operations, customers, members, employees and/or volunteers.
You are required to do the following:
- Separate food and yard waste from garbage for composting or other diversion methods. See our Food and Yard Waste Requirements.
- Recycle the same materials we do at home, plus clear plastic film, raw and unprocessed wood and more. See our Recycling Requirements.
Are you a business, company or organization?
The bylaw applies to property management, offices, stores, malls, restaurants, hotels, schools, non-profits, healthcare, manufacturers, factories, churches, warehouses and other operations. The bylaw applies regardless of organization size or number of employees.
My business or organization does not have a waste diversion program
If your business or organization does not have a recycling or food and yard waste program, please contact us by filling out an online service request below.
Resources for businesses and organizations
We offer recycling diversion guides, online tools, signs and posters, best practices and success stories to help you get started with your diversion programs.
In Calgary, you can also choose your waste collection company. Find guides on how to pick the right hauler and service for you, and see a directory of available haulers and collection companies.See Business Waste Diversion Program: Tools and Resources.
Waste disposal options for businesses and organizations
Find disposal options and instructions for your commercial waste:
- Disposal options for common business waste items
- Instructions for special items (asbestos, paint, clean fill, electronics)
- Industrial waste permits and instructions
- City of Calgary landfill services for businesses
City of Calgary business waste collection services
We offer commercial garbage, recycling, and food and yard waste collection services for Calgary businesses and organizations.
Our commercial waste management service features:
- Flexible service agreements with no long-term contracts
- Quality customer service and high standard or service delivery
- Commitment to waste diversion and cost effective services
If you already have City of Calgary service or are interested in our services, see City of Calgary Commercial Waste Collection Services.