How to dispose of scrap metal and unusable metal items
Take scrap metal to a metal recycler. Some private companies may buy scrap metal, charge a fee or accept items for free. Find options at The Yellow Pages under Metal Recycling or contact these local metal recyclers:
City landfill recycling
You can also take scrap metal to a City landfill for recycling. Landfill charges will apply. This includes items like:
- Generator (remove oil and gas)
- Car parts (engines and transmissions must be drained of all fluids)
- Hot water tank, water heater, and water boiler
- Air compressor
- Aluminum siding
- Chain link fence (must be in rolls)
- Chicken wire and other metal wire fencing
- Aluminum ladder
- Slides, swing sets and playgrounds
Scrap metal (such as clothes hangers, car parts, metal shelving, etc.) cannot be recycled in your blue cart or at a community recycling depot.
Barbed wire fencing – Barbed wire is garbage and can be taken to a City landfill for disposal (landfill fees will apply). Barbed wire fencing must be in rolls.
Landfill locations listed below: