How do I dispose of foam packaging?
Can you recycle styrofoam?
No. Put all types of foam in your black cart as garbage.
What items are made out of styrofoam?
- Foam coffee cups
- Foam plates and take-out containers
- Foam meat trays (and absorbent pads)
- Shipping packing materials such as foam blocks and peanuts
- Foam marked with the recycle symbol
- Polyurethane, polyethylene, expanded polyethylene (EPE) and expanded polystyrene (EPS) foam products
How do I prepare styrofoam for disposal?
Put foam into a garbage bag to keep it from blowing away during collection/disposal.
Why can't polystyrene foam be recycled or composted?
Foam products are too light for the sorting machines to sort during the recycling process and ends up contaminating the other recyclables. They also contain plastic which doesn't break down during composting and will contaminate the finished compost.