Share this page Print

Seven-Day Snow Plan

April 3, 2020: Day 1 of seven-day snow plan

Snow is currently falling city-wide, Apr. 3, 2020.

Here’s what we’re working on today and what you need to know.

The City: Crews are currently plowing:

  • Priority 1 roads – enter an address in the Snow and Ice Control Priority Routes map to see the priority roads near you
  • Major business routes
  • Downtown cycle tracks
  • Designated sections of pathway
  • Designated wheelchair ramps
  • Sidewalks adjacent City properties

Calgarians: Now that the snow has stopped, please clear the sidewalks that border your property. For more on your snow clearing responsibilities and the potential penalties, visit the snow removal bylaw page. If you can help a neighbour clear their sidewalk, you’re a Snow Angel and we appreciate you.


How the Seven-Day Snow Plan works

The seven-day snow plan is The City's schedule for clearing snow from public spaces. It's approved by City Council and comes into effect once a snowfall ends city-wide. The plan sets out which roads, sidewalks, bikeways and pathways our crews will clear, to what extent, and on which day within the seven-day plan. See below for the day-by-day priorities.
While it's snowing and before the seven-day plan is activated, crews are out on major roads plowing snow to prevent build-up and applying anti-icing material. This work minimizes the impact of snowfall on the heaviest-traffic routes.

Priority pedestrian clearing snow areas

The City's seven-day snow plan includes:
*The City is responsible for clearing approximately 11 per cent of Calgary sidewalks. Private property owners have the critical job of clearing the remaining 89 per cent, within 24 hours of a snowfall ending. Learn more about the bylaw requirements and new escalating fines for failing to maintain a public sidewalk bordering your private property.

Seven-Day snow plan priorities

Day 1

Day 1 begins after the snowfall ends. Crews spend the first 24 hours plowing and removing snow on Priority 1 routes, which include:

  • Major roads with more than 20,000 vehicles per day, such as Crowchild Trail and Macleod Trail. (Deerfoot Trail and Stoney Trail are maintained by the Province)
  • Business routes with more than 8,000 vehicles per day, such as those downtown.
  • Downtown cycle tracks
  • Designated sections of pathway
  • Sidewalks bordering City-owned properties
  • Pedestrian overpasses, LRT platforms and other public properties with high-volume foot traffic

For a view of all Priority 1 and 2 roads, visit the Snow and Ice Control Priority Routes map.

Day 2

Day 2 begins 24 hours after a snowfall ends and crews have completed at least 90 per cent of the work on Priority 1 routes. Priorities include plowing driving lanes (not curb or parking lanes) and piling it roadside. Priority 2 routes include:

  • Roads with 5,000-19,999 vehicles per day, such as Kensington Road and Acadia Drive
  • Intersections and crosswalks controlled by traffic lights
  • Designated emergency routes (e.g. around hospitals and fire stations)
  • Bus routes
  • Roads with on-street bike lanes
  • Trouble spots

Day 3

Day 3 begins 48 hours after the snow has stopped. Priorities include:

  • Turn lanes and on/off-ramps on P1 and P2 routes
  • Windrows at busy crosswalks and wheelchair curb ramps
  • Designated feeder/collector routes that connect to P2 routes
  • Playground zones (includes schools)
  • Designated hills
  • Intersections controlled by stop or yield signs

Day 4-7

Day 4 begins 72 hours after a snowfall ends. On days 4 through 7, crews work in residential areas to:

  • Pack down soft snow and level out ruts. Please note that some residential streets are too small or narrow for commercial snow-clearing equipment to work in
  • Sand-salt driving lanes (not curb or parking lanes)
  • Clear bus pads

Please note – The City does not have Council approval or budget to:

  • Plow residential roads down to bare pavement
  • Haul snow from residential areas
  • Clear back lanes or alleyways
  • Clear sidewalks bordering private homes or businesses; this is the responsibility of the home/business owner
  • Clear snow on walkways between homes

Road Conditions map

View the Road Conditions map to see which roads have been plowed in real time.

Road Conditions Map

Priority 1 and 2 Routes

Check the Priority Routes map for roads designated for priority snow clearing.

Snow Priority Routes Map

Pathway and bikeway snow clearing

To see pathways and bikeways cleared of snow, visit the pathway and bikeway snow clearing map.

Pathway and bikeway snow clearing map

Report snow and ice concerns

Report public safety or access issues caused by snow and ice.

Report Snow and Ice Concerns
Current Day Of Snow Plan


The Snow and Ice Control clock starts counting up when the snow stops falling.

The clock counter is disabled in editing mode on the "Seven Day Plan" page to avoid CSS problems.

Related documents