Social Media Commenting Guidelines
Social media participant use policy
We welcome your comments and encourage discussion on our social media platforms. Please be aware that when engaging with The City of Calgary on social media, you are agreeing to the following guidelines.
By contacting or contributing to a City of Calgary social media account, you agree to be respectful of other users on the site. Our social media channels include Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn. These platforms have their own community guidelines and policies that you should familiarize yourself with.
We will immediately delete all spam, advertising or comments which are inaccurate, off-topic, misleading, threatening, offensive, hateful and/or defamatory or otherwise objectionable. If repeated posts of the above nature are made by any individual, we retain the right to block that person from further activity on our page.
It is at The City of Calgary’s sole discretion which content is objectionable. We reserve the right to edit or remove posts we deem inappropriate.
We will remove any post that provides any non-public information about The City of Calgary or its employees which may include the names, addresses and telephone numbers of City of Calgary employees and social media participants.
Comments are moderated by a City of Calgary representative who reserves the right to edit posted content. Any editing will be done primarily for purposes of clarity, length or deletion of offensive, inappropriate, or potentially defamatory material.
If you want to refer to a third party work such as a newspaper article or other publication, we ask that you link to that material on that third party's website.
The information on our channels may not be used for any commercial purposes without the written consent of The City of Calgary.
Any content submitted to our social media channels is not confidential. As a result, you should never submit a comment or other content that contains confidential, proprietary or trade secret information, whether owned by you or someone else.
Comments or opinions expressed on social media come from members of the public and are those of their respective contributors only. The views expressed by outside contributors do not represent the views of The City of Calgary or its employees. The City of Calgary does not endorse these comments, nor is The City of Calgary responsible and we disclaim any and all liability for the content of comments.
Users are encouraged to submit or post content, including photographs and videos, on our social media channels. By agreeing to have The City of Calgary consider sharing your content, you consent to the following terms.
- Users must be over 18 years of age to post or submit materials.
- Users must not post links that contain any spyware, virus or malware.
- The personal information you post may be collected by The City of Calgary under the authority of section 33(c) of the FOIP Act and may be used by The City of Calgary to re-post on our social channels. You agree to grant The City an irrevocable non-exclusive, royalty-free, sub-licensable, transferrable license to use, publish, alter, edit, reproduce, create derivative works from, and display the content post/submission (including any personal information therein), in any form, in connection with the business operations of The City of Calgary.
- You must only submit content that you have created or otherwise have the right or consent to post from the relevant third party or parties.
- You must have permission to use the name and/or likeness of each identifiable individual in your submissions.