Get updates on changes to City services and closures.

View COVID-19 info and support

Borehole Application

Applications are required for any sub-surface disturbance to streets, lanes or UR/W as required under the Streets Bylaw. There is currently no fee for this application.

Our group works closely with consultants who are trying to identify and, if necessary, remediate any contamination located within The City of Calgary. All applications for borehole investigations are treated with confidentiality.

All applications must be submitted on The City of Calgary Block Profiles or a similar product of equal scale (1:250, 1:500 or 1:1000 metric). Scanned copies of the block profiles can be obtained through CITYonline. All borehole locations must be indicated on these plans showing two sets of dimensions from boreholes to the adjacent property, and/or lot lines. Boreholes must be a minimum of 2.0m from underground utilities and 7.0m from any overhead lines. Please indicate the maximum number of boreholes you anticipate installing, as the application must be resubmitted each time that you require an additional installation.

Submissions must include the following:

  • A cover letter requesting approval to carry out subsurface investigations within City of Calgary owned Rights-of-Way addressed to Utility Line Assignments – Corporate Analytics & Innovation (mail code 8026), 800 Macleod Tr. S.E., Calgary, Alberta, T2P 2M5.
  • Detailed cross section, on 8 ½ X 11 paper, of the borehole indicating depth, diameter and capping method for paved or grass area.
  • Six copies of the block profile showing the requested information.

Sample Bore Hole Cross-Section (786KB)

Sample Bore Hole Block Profile (120KB

Once this review is complete, a letter will be mailed to you indicating conditions of approval or any revisions required. A copy of this letter is forwarded to Calgary Roads informing them of our approval. This is required for the applicant to obtain an Indemnification Agreement. Please contact 311 or Roads e-permits for assistance with this or any other roads permits (i.e. excavation permits) required. If you are outside of the city limits call 403-268-2489.