Community Cleanups were cancelled for the 2020 season as a measure to help reduce the spread of COVID-19 and comply with the provincial guidelines for mass gatherings.
Community Cleanup events will resume for the 2021 season with COVID-19 precautions in place. In order to allow for more planning time for these events, we are opening applications earlier than in previous years. Applications for the 2021 Community Cleanup events will be open from October 19 – November 20, 2020.
About Community Cleanups
The organized Community Cleanup events save residents a trip to the landfill for items that do not fit in their waste and recycling carts or for residents who do not have cart service. This service is free of charge to all Calgarians.
We supply three packer trucks with crews (two for waste and one for organic materials) and funds for advertising and promotion, face coverings, sanitizer, gloves, and garbage bags for the group of community volunteers.
In previous years, Community Cleanup event dates have been assigned on a first come, first served basis. Once all applications are in, every attempt will be made to give communities their first choice of date. However, some communities may be assigned their second or third choice based on proximity to open landfill.
We moved to this new system to:
- Ensure equity in coverage across the city; and
- Ensure community event dates line up with the dates the landfill sites are open. This is because it can waste valuable time and is less environmentally friendly when a truck must travel to a landfill that is not in closer proximity to the community location.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic situation, precautions are in place for mass gathering events. As Community Cleanups are an outdoor event, the following precautions apply:
- 100-person maximum for outdoor events. All Community Cleanup events will require a ‘counter’ to ensure the event always stays within the 100-person maximum.
- Masks will be required for all persons attending the event.
- Gloves will be required for all volunteers at the event.
- Hand sanitizer must be made available for event attendees.
- Practicing of social distancing (6-feet apart) as much as possible between all attendees.
Items garbage trucks will not accept
Our garbage trucks will not accept the following items:
- Car batteries
- Glass (e.g. window panes, glass table tops)
- Household appliances with Freon (e.g. refrigerators, freezers)
- Liquids (e.g. cooking oils)
- Large metal items (e.g. lawnmowers, barbeques)
- Rail way ties
- Sod or dirt
- Household hazardous waste including
- Propane tanks
- Automobile, cleaning, healthcare, and gardening chemicals
Household hazardous waste materials can be brought directly to a household hazardous waste drop-off location.
Items for recycling
Some cleanups may accept additional items for recycling. Check your community association website for details. These items include:
- Baby care seats
- Cell phones and cell phone batteries
- Paper shredding
- Home appliances (free store item)
- Home electronics
- Large pieces of furniture
- Scrap metal (e.g. barbeques, lawnmowers, and filing cabinets)
Community Recycling Depots
Items for recycling can be taken to your local Community Recycling depot. Please check our community recycling depot page for a location near you.
Not sure what to do with an item?
Visit calgary.ca/whatgoeswhere to find the right recycling and disposal options for your unwanted items.
Leaves, branches, plants, grass clippings and other yard waste (excluding sod) will be accepted at Community Cleanup events for composting. Yard waste must be separate from other items.
All organic materials we collect at community cleanups will be taken to one of The City's composting facilities.