Community parks and playgrounds
City playgrounds are now open! We know how important playgrounds are to Calgary’s children, but we must all remember to play safely.
Playground safety during COVID-19
When using playgrounds it is important to remember:
- Playgrounds are high-touch point structures and are not disinfected or cleaned after use.
- There is a limited ability to manage physical distancing on these structures.
While families can use playgrounds once re-opened, we strongly encourage you to follow these guidelines:
- Those who are sick or have symptoms related to COVID-19 must not use playgrounds.
- Practice proper hand hygiene. Wash and sanitize your hands before and after use.
- Encourage children to avoid sharing toys or sports equipment and limit contact with individuals outside of their household or cohort family. Try to encourage your children to avoid touching their face.
- Maintain 2 metres, or 6 feet, of physical distance between yourself and others.
- Clean and disinfect toys and sports equipment prior to and after use.
- Carry and use hand sanitizer containing at least 60% alcohol content immediately before and after using playground equipment.
- Consider limiting children and other members of your household to only visiting playgrounds that are close to your home. This will help limit the number of people your family may come into contact with.
- Maintain physical distancing and limit congregating with other people when entering and leaving the playground and supervising children playing (e.g. paths, benches, picnic areas).
The City of Calgary Parks manages and maintains more than 1,100 playgrounds and 5,600 park sites city-wide.
Playgrounds are inspected regularly and those nearing the end of their lifecycle are looked at through the playground optimization program.
Community groups seeking to improve or build a playground are encouraged to start with this Community Playground Workbook.
To report inappropriate activities (i.e. vandalism) or safety concerns, please contact 311.
View the Parks Wayfinder Map to find a park or playground near you.
Some of our events are weather permitting and may be subject to change. For updates on cancellations please call 311 or check @cityofcalgary Twitter posts.