The location was originally set aside as a park reserve in 1905 but it was divided and the eastern section was to become for Canadian Northern Railway train yard from 1911 to 1971. The rail bridge connecting the yard to the former St. Mary’s Parish Hall converted to train station (currently the Alberta Ballet) is now a pedestrian bridge connecting Lindsay Park to Rouleauville Square and 17th Avenue.
The park is named after Dr. Neville Lindsay who owned the ranchland which is currently known as Lindsay Park. Dr. Lindsay came to Calgary in 1883.
Lindsay Park is home to the Repsol Sport Centre which initially opened as the Lindsay Park Sports Centre in July 1983 to host the Western Canada Summer Games.