16 Avenue over University Drive Bridge Rehabilitation
Built-in 1959, 16 Avenue over University Drive Bridge is a four-span, cast-in-place concrete girder bridge that carries four lanes and a narrow sidewalk across University Drive N.W. The physical condition of various elements of this bridge has declined to the point where work is required to keep the bridge in service.
This project will rehabilitate deteriorated bridge elements, improve pedestrian safety and extend the service life of the bridge. The construction of this project is expected to occur between Spring and Fall 2022.
Project updates - May, 2022
Construction activity around the bridge is expected to start during the week of May 9. Through construction, traffic on 16 Avenue at University Drive N.W. will be reduced to a single lane in each direction. Please watch for workers, expect delays in the area, and use alternate routes if possible.
Project scope of work
The rehabilitation work on the bridge structure will include:
- Median reconstruction
- Traffic barriers and pedestrian railing replacement
- Girders and deck repair.
- Substructure repair
- Expansion joints replacement.
- New asphalt wearing surface.
- Widening of the sidewalk on the northside, and new cyclist railing provided to improve service and safety for pedestrians and cyclists.
This project will improve conditions for drivers, cyclists, and pedestrians and make the area safer for all modes. Improvements include widening the sidewalk and replacing the sub-standard railings with standard Cyclist railings that meet code requirements.
May – November 2022
- Traffic accommodations are required on 16 Avenue and University Drive N.W.
- To minimize the impact to citizens while keeping safety in mind, construction will be done in stages.
- Anticipated traffic staging will include lane routing, lane closures, and ramps closures. Expect delays during construction and use alternate routes when possible.
- Rotating lane closures will occur through different stages of the project. It is expected that one lane in each direction will be closed by construction.
- Updates to traffic staging and schedule will be posted online.
The investment for this project is $5.8 million.
- May 9, 2022 - Construction Start
- November 2022 - Construction Substantially Complete