A permit is required to construct bleachers for events like the Calgary Stampede or a street festival.
The following rules apply for the installation of bleachers:
- Only 20% of the parade route is permitted to have bleacher seating.
- No bleachers may be installed in front of surface parking lots, at Transit bus stops and zones and in front of construction sites.
- The bleachers must be 0.3 metres away from the edge of the curb. There must be one metre of space between the back of the bleachers and the building behind.
How to apply
Bleacher permits are typically a part of festivals and events, and most bleacher permit applications will be coordinated as part of the festival and event permitting process. If you would like more info regarding bleacher permits, please contact 311.
The application must include:
- Name, address, telephone number and contact person of the company or organization requesting the space for bleacher-style seating.
- A plan showing the construction details of the bleachers, which has been signed stamped by a professional engineer (structural) licensed to practice in Alberta.
- Specific locations and length in lineal metres where bleachers will be installed.
- Certificate of general liability insurance in the amount of $2 million, naming The City of Calgary as additionally insured.
The cost of the bleachers permit is $53.35 + GST application fee, plus $5.80 + GST per lineal metre of sidewalk used per week.