Information | Rezoning for Housing

Public hearing on April 22, 2024. Proposed rezoning will support more housing options in all communities.

Learn more

A block party or play street is a citizen-initiated event held on a city street within a specific block in a community for entertainment purposes. A permit is required to close roadways for the event.


The following regulations apply for permits:

  • The block used must be occupied predominately by owner/residents.
  • Block parties may occur between 10 a.m. and 10 p.m. only.
  • The permit holder must remain at the event until its conclusion.
  • No alcoholic beverages are permitted on the city right-of-way.
  • No open fires are permitted on the city right-of-way
  • The permit holder must obtain and place barricades in order to safely close the road during the event.

How to apply

A Block Party / Play Street permit application takes a minimum of 15 business days to process.

Once you register for a myID, you will be able to log into ePermits to apply. If you need help or additional explanation when using the ePermits website, please see the ePermits frequently asked questions.

The application for a block party / play street permit must include:

  • A petition signed by a significant majority of the residents on the block. Please use the petition form included in the Block Party Application Procedures document, all fields must be completed.
  • A map showing the location of the block party / play street and the location of the temporary street closure.

The Block Party / Play Street Application Procedures includes the petition form and guidelines for traffic control.

Block party and play street approvals are granted on an individual basis considering criteria such as:

  • Disapprovals on the petition.
  • Location.
  • Previous history of permits at the location.

The applicant agrees to obtain and place barricades/approved traffic control devices in order to safely close the road during the event. Traffic control devices can be rented from authorized third parties.

24 hours a day, seven days a week using your City of Calgary myID


FREE - there is no fee to apply for a Block Party / Play Street permit.


Minimum of 15 business days with completed petition.

Related information