Horse-drawn vehicle permit
Organizations operating horse-drawn vehicles (also known as horse-drawn carriages) will require a horse-drawn permit to operate within The City of Calgary.
To apply for this permit, the applicant must provide:
- Proof of insurance in the amount of $2 million, naming The City of Calgary as additionally insured.
- Detailed routing information. All requested routes are subject to approval.
- All routes must be on residential roads only
- Shall not pass any traffic signals
- Cannot pass through any bus routes
Additionally, while operating:
- There must be a slow moving vehicles sign on the horse-drawn vehicle.
- The driver of the horse-drawn vehicle must wear a safety vest.
How to apply
Please call 311 to submit a permit application. If you are outside of the city limits call 403-268-2489.
Permits are issued at the discretion of the Traffic Engineer, as per Streets Bylaw 20M88.
$54.45 + GST per route (non-refundable)