Calgary Parking Policies
Calgary Parking Policies (Formerly A Parking Policy Framework for Calgary) is Council's overarching policy document on how on-street and off-street parking is managed in Calgary. It is a living document that is continually revised and added to as specific parking policies are further developed. Highlights include:
- The downtown parking strategy(section 6.1)
- Commercial on-street parking policies and pricing (section 5.1.2)
- Residential on-street parking policies (section 5.1.1)
- Carshare parking policies (Section 5.1.6)
- Parking revenue reinvestment policies for paid parking areas (section 5.3)
- The roles and relationships of Council, City Administration and the Calgary Parking Authority (section 3)
- Financial returns from the Calgary Parking Authority to The City (section 4)
Recent Council Approvals
- In March 2018, City Council approved updates to the Land Use Bylaw to fully implement the updated downtown parking strategy (section 6.1).
- In February 2020, City Council adopted changes to the carshare parking policy (section 5.1.6) in February 2020. These changes update previous carshare policies to better align with the outcomes advanced by the Municipal Development Plan and Calgary Transportation Plan.
- In January 2021, City Council adopted new residential parking policies. This policy update renews the residential parking policy framework and aims to:
- Ensure fairness, transparency and clarity in how Calgarians interact with residential parking,
- Make the system easier to use,
- Use a data-based decision-making framework, and
- Consider the views and needs of all parking users including residents, visitors and businesses.