Transportation Forecasting division
The Forecasting division of Calgary's Transportation Planning business unit is responsible for analyzing changes in transportation demand in the city. To do this, the Forecasting division plans, designs, builds, operates, and maintains transportation demand forecasting models. Included are the data and systems that support them. The Division targets model functionality to meet customer needs and delivers quality analysis and results for client studies.
Forecasting's mission is to provide quality travel forecasting analysis to support planning at the City of Calgary. This analysis aids the City's decision-makers by showing the consequences of land use, infrastructure, and policy decisions on the transportation system.
How Forecasting supports The City of Calgary
Analysis in support of the following types of multi-modal studies:
- Transportation infrastructure capital priorities (including consumer benefit analysis)
- Transportation infrastructure functional design
- Transportation impacts of land development
- Transportation network operations
- Emissions estimates
- Transport and land use policy alternatives
Analytical services related to travel demand for:
- City engineers, planners and administration
- Consulting engineers and planners
- Provincial engineers and planners
- Citizen inquiries
Transportation Forecasting also exchanges ideas and techniques with our colleagues from other regions and jurisdictions who engage in travel demand forecasting.