How to recycle clothing, shoes and textiles
How do I donate usable clothing and shoes?
Contact local charities to find out what type of reusable clothes, shoes and damaged textiles are accepted in their drop off bins.
- Diabetes Canada
- Cerebral Palsy
- Kidney Clothes
- Calgary Drop In Centre
- Women in Need Society
- Clothing for a Cause
- Other donation options
Can I recycle clothing, shoes and textiles?
Yes. Take clothing and textiles, even damaged goods, to any City landfill for free textile recycling. Our Throw 'N' Go bins accept a variety of textiles including:
- Clothing (shirts, dresses, pants, underwear, sweaters)
- Outerwear (e.g. coats and jackets)
- Shoes and footwear (sandals, sneakers, runners, dress shoes, heels)
- Purses, backpacks, wallets, and belts
- Household linens (e.g. bedding, towels, curtains, pillows, tea towels, duvets and blankets)
- Reusable shopping bags (e.g. cloth grocery store bags, Lululemon bags)
- Burlap bags (coffee or rice)
- Underwear, bras and hosiery
- Accessories like hats, mittens and scarves
- Cleaning cloths, rags, and scrap fabric (ensure cleaning fabrics are laundered first)
- Sleeping bags and tents (no poles)
- Carry-on sized luggage, suitcases and duffel bags (these bags must fit in textile bin otherwise please take to a thrift store or donation centre
How do I prepare clothes for recycling?
- Even if the material is ripped or damaged, make sure that all clothing and fabrics are clean before bringing in for recycling.
- Place items inside a bag before dropping off at the City landfill Throw ’n’ Go. This helps keeps the clothing dry and makes it easier to collect.
- If you bring other garbage in your load, landfill charges will apply.
Landfill locations listed below:
What happens to the clothing and textiles brought to the City Throw 'n' Go?
Clothing and textiles are donated, reused or recycled depending on their condition.
- Any reusable clothing is sent for resale to retailers internationally.
- If the item isn't reusable, it will be recycled instead. Textile recyclers turn old clothing, shoes, linens and fabrics into new products. Materials are sorted, cleaned and can be turned into wiping rags or shredded down for upholstery stuffing or fiber recycling.
All dropped-off clothing and textiles are organized by Goodwill Alberta.
Please note that Goodwill does not offer textile recycling bins at any other locations in Calgary. However, you can take clothing and shoes to a Goodwill store for donation and recycling as well.