Share this page Print

Concerns regarding wildlife





Concerns about dangerous, abandoned, injured or nuisance wildlife



Edit Hero/CTA

Wildlife Concerns

Concerns about dangerous, abandoned, injured or nuisance wildlife


We are fortunate to have nature at our doorstep. Calgary s close proximity to the Rocky Mountains, Kananaskis Country and Fish Creek Provincial Park means that our urban setting co-exists with nature in our parks, backyards and in our communities.

Please let nature be wild, and refrain from approaching or feeding wild animals.

Secure garbage and pet food, and eliminate other potential food sources such as pet waste, that may attract wildlife. If you have bird feeders in your yard, please keep them and the area underneath clean.

Who should you call regarding wildlife?

Dangerous wildlife

Animals such as bears, moose, coyotes and cougars can become dangerous.

  • In an emergency situation where there is immediate danger, call 9-1-1.
  • For non-emergency situations call Alberta Fish & Wildlife at 403-297-6423 (between 8:15 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. Monday – Friday) or 1-800-642-3800 (outside of office hours).

Click here for information on coyotes.

Nuisance wildlife

We are committed to fostering a balance between wildlife and conserving nature in our urban setting. For additional info, visit our managing pests web page.

There are several organizations that work toward establishing and fostering a positive, sustainable coexistence between wildlife and urban living. Contact your local pest control company if you have concerns with any of the following wildlife:

  • Bats
  • Crows
  • Gophers
  • Magpies
  • Mice
  • Moles
  • Pigeons
  • Porcupines
  • Rabbits
  • Raccoons
  • Seagulls
  • Skunks
  • Squirrels
  • Wasps

If left alone, deer pose minimal risk to the public. Citizens are advised:

  • To reduce speed in areas frequented by deer.
  • If deer are not trapped by fence, they are generally able to find an escape route
  • If deer appear to be injured, yet are still mobile, their likelihood of survival is high.
  • If deer are injured and not mobile (for example they are laying down), call Alberta Fish and Wildlife at 403-297-6423 or 1-800-642-3800 (after hours).
  • Young deer may appear to be orphaned, but should be left alone. Often they are hidden, while the parents forage for food.

Injured wildlife

There are a number of organizations that can help when you encounter an injured, abandoned or orphaned animal. Learn More.

Dead animals

Report dead animals on our roadways.

Livestock within city limits

To report livestock on the loose, call the Calgary Police Service non-emergency line at 403-266-1234.