Share this page Print

Licensing City property for telecommunication antenna structures

The City of Calgary may, under certain circumstances, license the installation of telecommunication antenna structures and devices (commonly known as cell towers) on City-owned property.

The Telecommunication Antenna Structures on Municipal Property Council policy outlines when cell towers may be placed on City-owned property.

The City of Calgary will consider allowing cell towers and antennas on City-owned property:


  • when there are no available private sites that meet a wireless service provider's technical needs; or
  • where there is significant public opposition to a proposed private site.

The wireless service provider must first discuss the possible use of a specific City site with Planning & Development to ensure planning policy considerations are met before inquiring about its availability.

Making an inquiry to license City property

Note: An inquiry does not guarantee the City site will be available for licensing.

  1. After consulting Planning & Development, the wireless service provider will submit the Licensing City Property for Telecommunication Antenna Structures Inquiry Form.
  2. The query regarding the property in question will then be circulated to City business units to determine if the property is needed for a current or future municipal use. This process will take up to six weeks to complete.
  3. If the site is not available, Planning & Development will inform the applicant.
  4. If the site is available, Planning & Development will contact the applicant to discuss next steps, including carrying out any public consultation that may be required, abiding by all the terms and conditions outlined in The City of Calgary Telecommunication Antenna Structures Siting Protocols.
  5. Once evidence of public supported is provided, the applicant may request a letter of authorization from Real Estate & Development Services (, which will allow them to make application to Planning & Development for a telecommunication antenna structure.
  6. Planning & Development will review the submission, render a decision and, if supported, provide the applicant with a Letter of Concurrence.
  7. The applicant can then request a License of Occupation for Telecommunications from Real Estate & Development Services.

See The City's Authority for Telecommunication Antenna Structures and Devices for more information about The City's roles and responsibilities regarding cell towers.

Submit completed forms to:

The City of Calgary
Planning & Development #8094
P.O Box 2100, Station M
Calgary, Alberta T2P 2M5

c/o Planning & Development, City of Calgary
Ph: 403-268-5311 (General Inquiry Line)