Share this page Print

Get, replace, or fix a blue, green or black cart


Blue, black and green carts are the property of The City of Calgary and are assigned to homes rather than people. Please do not take your cart with you when you move.

Get carts for a newly built home

If you're moving into a newly built home, submit a cart for new homes service request or call 311.

Please submit your 311 request for new carts no earlier than 14 days before your move-in date.

Carts are provided at no charge and will be delivered to your home.

Replace broken carts or missing carts

If you have a damaged or missing cart, please contact 311.

Your cart may need repair or replacement if:

  • The lid is missing including the hinges.
  • The lid does not fully cover your garbage, recycling or composting.
  • The body of the cart is cracked.
  • The wheels are missing or broken so the cart won't stand upright.

We do not replace carts due to scratches or colouring that don't affect the use of the cart.

The City does not provide replacement green cart pails. If you need a kitchen catcher, you can purchase at hardware stores or reuse any plastic container with a lid (e.g. ice cream bucket).

Taking care of your carts

You are responsible for taking care of your carts and keeping them clean from odours and dirt.

If odours/dirt pose a concern, follow these steps to keep your carts clean:

  • Sprinkle some baking soda at the bottom of your carts.
  • Rinse the cart with a hose and pour the water onto grass/gravel, not down the storm drain.

Follow these steps to prevent carts from being taken/lost:

  • Write your address on the side of your carts.
  • Write down the serial number and keep it somewhere safe. This will help us identify your carts if they are lost or need repairs.
  • Store your carts on your own property.