Get, replace, or fix a blue, green or black cart
Blue, black and green bins are the property of The City of Calgary and are assigned to homes rather than people. Please do not take your cart with you when you move.
Get carts for a newly built home
If you're moving into a newly built home, you can submit an online request below or call 311.
Please submit your 311 request for new bins no earlier than 14 days before your move-in date. Carts will be delivered directly to your home at no charge.
Replace broken carts or missing carts
If you have a damaged or missing cart, you can submit an online request below or call 311.
Your cart may need repair or replacement if:
- The lid is missing including the hinges.
- The lid does not fully cover your garbage, recycling or composting.
- The body of the cart is cracked.
- The wheels are missing or broken so the cart won't stand upright.
We do not replace carts due to scratches or colouring.
We do not provide replacement green cart pails.
If you need a kitchen pail, you can buy them at hardware stores or reuse a plastic container with a lid (ice cream bucket).
Sharing carts – fourplexes and row houses
If you live in a row house or fourplex type property, you may find that there are too many carts at your location. If your neighbors all agree, you can have some of your carts removed to save on space and bins.
Talk with your neighbors to determine how many of each cart you need so everyone has access to adequate black, blue and green cart service. Once everyone has agreed, you can call 311 to arrange to have The City pick up the unneeded carts - please reference the WRS - Programs service request.
- A minimum of 1 Black Cart, 1 Blue Cart, and 1 Green Cart is required at each location. You may add or remove bins at any time.
- Monthly program fees will still apply to each household even if carts are removed.
Requesting Additional Carts
If you require additional carts to manage the amount of recycling, food and yard waste or garbage at your household there are different options available depending on our situation.
Taking care of your carts
You are responsible for taking care of your carts and keeping them clean.
Follow these steps to keep your carts clean:
- Sprinkle some baking soda at the bottom of your carts.
- Rinse the cart with a hose and pour the water onto grass/gravel, not down the storm drain.
Follow these steps to prevent carts from being taken/lost:
- Write your address on the side of your carts.
- Write down the serial number and keep it somewhere safe. This helps us identify your carts.
- Store your carts on your own property.