Making changes to a BIA
Changing an established BIA’s name
The request must include:
- the current name,
- the desired name, and
- the name change rationale and
- supporting information of the board’s rationale.
- E.g. copies of resolutions, board minutes, discussion about benefits the name change will bring.
After submission, the name change request is presented to Council for their review and potential approval.
Changing an established BIA’s boundaries
The following information only applies to changes to boundaries of a BIA already established through a bylaw. The Chair or President of the BIA Board must submit a map with the proposed new boundaries to The City on or before the last business day in March for consideration for approval for the following year.
Disestablishing a current BIA
To begin the process to disestablish a BIA, business taxpayers in a BIA must petition for a bylaw to disestablish. To be valid, the petition must be signed by taxpayers representing at least 25 per cent of the taxable businesses.
Following the petition, required steps include:
- confirmation of the petition (completed by The City), and
- first reading of the bylaw to disestablish the BIA.
After first reading, there are further specifications pertaining to a vote by the BIA taxpayers.
Please note: To disestablish a BIA, you must follow the steps outlined in the Business Improvement Area Regulation.