Business Improvement Areas
A Business Improvement Area (BIA) is a group of businesses, within a defined geographic area, that work together on local improvements and promote local economic development. Established by municipal bylaw under the Municipal Government Act of Alberta and the BIA Regulation, BIAs are funded by an annual tax which is collected from the area’s businesses by The City and transferred to the BIA board of directors.
- Improving, beautifying, and maintaining property in the business improvement area
- Developing, improving and maintaining public parking
- Promoting the business improvement area as a business or shopping area.
- BIAs enhance vibrancy and have helped create some of Calgary's best known and most loved neighborhoods.
- BIAs provide input and advocate for policies and planning that support local economic development and vitality.
- BIAs invest in promotion, special events, maintenance, and streetscape improvements within these areas.
- BIAs work collaboratively with The City in delivery of municipal services, operational issues, and strategic planning to support these areas.
Active BIA Change in Boundaries (Expansion) Requests
The change in boundaries requests from 17th Avenue Retail & Entertainment District BIA, Crescent Heights BIA and Marda Loop BIA were approved by City Council on October 3, 2023: 9.1 Business Improvement Areas - Change in Boundaries Requests, C2023-0891