PARK(ing) Day Calgary 2020
PARK(ing) Day is an annual open-source global event where citizens, artists and designers collaborate to temporarily transform metered parking spaces into “PARK(ing)” spaces – temporary public spaces. The project aims to encourage critical thought and to spark our imaginations about how public spaces can be used.
The City, in partnership with the Alberta Association of Landscape Architects, invite you to transform an everyday parking stall into an experimental design and showcase the creative ways you think urban public space could be used.
Where: Various locations around the city
Date: September 18-20, 2020
This year in light of the unknowns and current circumstances, we’re taking the opportunity to try something different. PARK(ing) Day will be hosted apart, throughout the city. Along with your PARK(ing) Day design, please submit your chosen location. Installations will be up all weekend and Calgarians can visit them at their leisure.
This year, PARK(ing) Day will be held throughout the City. When applying please indicate your chosen location. Great locations include main streets and busy pedestrian corridors - places where there are lots of people and a need for public space. However, proposed locations are not limited to these areas.
Some considerations when choosing a location:
- Must be an unrestricted parking stall. No loading or accessible parking zones or listed parking restriction times.
- If locating in front of a business, please contact the business to gain support.
- Consider connecting with the applicable Community Association or Business Improvement Area. This is not a requirement, however they are generally highly interested in these projects and may like to get involved.
How to transform a parking stall
We invite you to transform an everyday parking stall into an experimental design and showcase the ways you think urban public space could be used.
- Installations must be sturdy and safe, weather resistant, and not interfere with traffic.
- Installations are required to incorporate a 4’ high protective fence (provided by event organizers) to separate the installation from vehicular traffic.
- Consider the cross slope of roadway in your design. All designers are encouraged to do a site visit prior to design.
- Teams are responsible for the design, materials, fabrication, transportation, installation and removal of their installations for the event, including associated costs.
- Installations will be unsupervised and in place for 3 days. Please consider durability and take this into consideration for your design.
- Please design with COVID-19 in mind (eg., limit high touch surfaces, consider social distanced seating, etc.)
- Signage is limited to two posters, no larger than 11 by 17 inches in size.
- Setup is from 9 am to 12 pm on Friday, September 18 and take-down is between 8 am and 12 pm on Monday, September 20.
PARK(ing) Day grants
Alberta Association of Landscape Architects will be awarding two (2) $1,000 grants this year, available to students, artists and/or citizens. Business and organizations are not eligible. Please indicate on the application form if you would like to be considered.
Submissions will be reviewed by an AALA jury and grant recipients will be informed by August 28, 2020.
PARK(ing) Day Competition
This year the Alberta Association of Landscape Architects (AALA) will be awarding PARK(ing) day installations by jury, for most creative, most colourful and judge’s choice. The people’s choice award will be determined through social media voting. The competition is open to all participants. Winners will be announced on September 18, 2020.
- Most creative
- Most colourful
- Judge’s choice
- People’s favourite
What are the submission requirements?