Interview tips and protocol
- Visit The City of Calgary careers website, Help in Applying/FAQ, and “Prepare for an Interview (e-learning)” module.
- Print off and review the posting prior to the interview.
- Be prepared to talk about your work experience.
- Rehearse your examples as though you are telling a story before the interview.
- You may want to provide a professional portfolio with examples of your past work and credentials.
- Be prepared to provide three professional references.
- Being well dressed and well groomed is important for first impressions.
- Try your best to be five to ten minutes early. Shake hands firmly only if you are comfortable doing so.
During the interview
- Practice eye contact; remember to breathe; most of all…relax. • Get comfortable – consider your body language.
- Take notes/names of the interview panel.
- Share your examples as though you are telling a story.
- Use “I” rather than “we”, “us”, “they” or “our”. After all, the interview is about you.
- If you don’t understand the question, ask the interviewer to repeat/clarify.
- Listen carefully and make sure you answer the question. Smile occasionally.
- Accomplishment statements, which describe results, achievements, and successes from your past, make a good impact.
- If you do not have a work related answer, consider sharing an example from any volunteer or school experience.
- Remember, this is your opportunity to shine and make a good first impressions.
- If you have a disability, we understand that disclosure to a potential employer is an important and complex decision, and it is entirely yours to make. The City of Calgary supports a diverse workforce and we encourage you to share with us any accommodation that you may need for an interview and in order to do your job.