The City of Calgary’s Municipal Naming Program is designed to recognize Calgary’s citizens through the naming of City-owned assets. These names give us a greater connection with our surroundings and a sense of belonging to our community. The permanence of parks, pathways, streets, buildings and other City-owned assets make municipal naming one of the highest forms of recognition for citizens.
Requests for the naming of City assets can be submitted by the public, City employees and City Council. To learn more about the Municipal Naming Program, please email
Our Parks, Our People. Calgary 125.
This year marks Calgary’s 125th anniversary of civic incorporation. To celebrate, The City invites the public to nominate notable Calgarians for the commemorative naming of City parks and green spaces. This campaign provides an opportunity to honour outstanding Calgarians for their achievements and contributions to the community.
To make a nomination, follow the application process below starting with the eligibility criteria.
Nominations will be accepted until December 31, 2019
. Nominees will be notified if selected in early 2020.
Review Eligibility Criteria
Nominees must meet the following criteria to be eligible:
- Nominations can only be submitted for an individual who has retired (and therefore no longer active in their field of expertise) or deceased;
- Nominees are to have made a significant impact on Calgary or in their community; and
- Individuals cannot nominate themselves.
Gather Nomination Attachments
The following documents must be included in the nomination:
- Letter of Support from the Community Association in which the park or green space is located;
- Minimum of two (2) Letters of Reference that attest to the achievements of the nominee and the impact they had on Calgary or in their community. Letters of reference may come from schools, faith organizations or leaders, local businesses, historic groups, elected officials, etc. (max. 3 MB per document or pdf).
* Attachments can be .doc, .docx, .pdf, .jpg, .png or .txt files.
Maximum 3 MB per document.
Select the Park or Green Space
From the map below, select the park or green space that you are proposing to be named after the nominee. Make note of the park or green space code.
Complete and Submit a Nomination
Note that the form cannot be saved.
Please ensure you have all the required information and attachments prior to completing the form.