Utility Alignment Permits

The City is responsible to manage access to its rights-of-way. There are many demands that exists for the use of The City’s rights-of-way, a limited resource. With numerous interests competing for both short and long-term use of these rights-of-way, it is crucially important that a balance exist where its intended use, present and future, is protected.

In achieving this balance, the City strives to provide streets that safeguard the public and help fulfill the City’s mission, values and objectives. The City assumes the responsibility for managing the use of the rights-of-way, ensuring equitable treatment for all utility providers, while simultaneously ensuring strict compliance to and enforcement of all City bylaws, including but not limited to the Municipal Rights-of-Way Bylaw 17M2016 (270KB).


What services does the Utility Alignment Group provide?

  • Review and approval for shallow utility alignments, and review of subdivision plans
  • Review of Corporate Planning Applications Group (CPAG) applications (development permits, land use amendments, outline plans, road closures
  • Review and approval of boreholes, back sloping & shoring
  • Tree planting approvals in boulevards (or The City of Calgary's Parks department)

When do I Need a Utility Alignment Permit?

A Utility Alignment Permit is required by any shallow utility provider (i.e. ENMAX, ATCO, Shaw, Telus, Rogers, Bell, etc.) that is excavating, breaking-up or otherwise disturbing or cutting the surface of any City’s rights-of-way or attaching equipment to a City Structure.

The application must be submitted by the appropriate utility provider or its designate for work on equipment that belongs to that utility provider.

How Do I Apply for a Utility Alignment Permit?

If you are an approved applicant, you can submit an electronic application (using the approved file format Microstation V8i) through the CROWM portal, fill out all required fields, and submit the application. Once the application has been submitted you can check the “My Applications” page in CROWM to determine where your application sits in the queue. Please note the queue is updated constantly so best to check back frequently.

Online help and tutorials are available for new users to the CROWM portal, which highlights how to navigate through the web submission system.


NOTE: This system requires a myID Business Account.

Please contact ULAsupport@calgary.ca prior to submitting a paper application to determine if it is an acceptable application type.


Contact Utility Alignment Permits Group

Email Address:


Mailing Address:

Utility Alignment Permit Group
Corporate Analytics & Innovation (mail code 8026),
Municipal Building, Floor 6
800 MacLeod Tr. S.E.
Calgary, Alberta
T2P 2M5

Have Suggestions for the Bylaw Guidelines?

You can provide suggestions or comments on the bylaw guidelines by emailing ulaSupport@calgary.ca 

Related Policies and Bylaws

Related bylaws

Disclaimer: This information has no legal status and cannot be used as an official interpretation of the various bylaws, codes and regulations currently in effect. The City of Calgary accepts no responsibility to persons relying solely on this information. Web pages are updated periodically.