Lost cats and dogs
At this time, the Animal Services Centre remains open to the public. However, in order to limit the risk of illness spreading, we ask that you leave lost or stray animals that are healthy and safe. We encourage citizens not bring an animal to our facility or to a vet unless it is in danger, injured, or in distress. If you believe that your animal has been impounded and needs to be reclaimed but you are unwell or self-isolating, please send a family member or friend who is symptom-free on your behalf to claim your pet from the Animal Services Centre. When speaking with the Animal Services staff please make them aware of who you are sending prior to their arrival. This person should be familiar with your dog or cat and comfortable handling and transporting it. Photo ID is required before releasing any animal and must be presented at the time of pick up. If you believe your lost animal is currently at Animal Services, or have further questions please call 311.
I've found a lost cat or dog
Turning a lost pet into the right place, quickly, is very important.
We take cats or dogs that:
- are found within city limits with or without ID
The Calgary Humane Society takes cats, dogs and other animals that are:
- found outside Calgary city limits.
- cats within the city limits missing a City license tag, microchip, or tattoo.
- exotic animals (birds, reptiles, etc.).
- surrendered or abandoned animals.
Vet clinics takes cats, dogs and other animals when:
I've lost my cat or dog
- Call 311 or 403-268-2489 (outside Calgary) and file a Lost Animal Report.
- Check if your pet has been brought to us.
- Download our Pets mobile app so you can keep checking in.
- Visit the Animal Services Centre to view the cats and dogs. (It's easier to identify your pet in person instead of photos.)
- Double-check with family/house members on where your pet might be.
- Do a thorough search of your home. Smaller cats and dogs may be hiding.
- Ask friends and family to search the neighbourhood.
- Talk to your neighbours - maybe they’ve seen your cat or dog.
- Call local vet clinics - people often bring stray pets to a vet.
Impounded cats currently at Animal Service Centre.
Impounded dogs currently at Animals.
Questions or concerns? Give us a call or come down and visit.