No Cost Spay & Neuter Program
All previously scheduled appointments for this program are now canceled, and indefinitely postponed. If you have any questions please contact 311.
We offer a No Cost Spay/Neuter Program which provides free spay and neuter surgery for companion cats and dogs of eligible low income Calgarians. This program is not available for breeders. All applications for this program are referred through The City’s Fair Entry Program.
Please Note: Due to high demand for The City’s spay and neuter programs and services, applicants for this program will experience up to a six month wait time for surgery. Applicants will be contacted when The City is able to schedule the surgery. We are continuing to accept new applications.
- The applicant must be at least 18 years of age and be a resident of the city of Calgary.
- You must own the cat or dog at the time of the application.
- The cat or dog must be licensed at the time of your application through The City of Calgary.
- The licence must be in the applicant’s name.
- Applicants must be referred through The City’s Fair Entry Program.
- The cat or dog must be healthy, Female cats in heat and pregnant cats and dogs can be spayed. We recommend that the animal is vaccinated by a veterinarian at least two weeks before surgery.
For information on the cost of licensing your animal and where you can purchase a licence please visit our Responsible pet ownership and licensing page. Once your pet is spayed/neutered it will be eligible for a reduced licence fee when you renew your licence.
This program is not available for breeders. Pets that are not eligible for spay and neuter surgery:
- Unhealthy or contagious cat or dogs. This includes cats and dogs that are coughing, sneezing, have watery eyes, runny noses, mange or ringworm.
- Female dogs in heat. We spay one month after the dog's cycle is completed.
- Nursing cats and dogs. We spay four weeks after the litter has been weaned.
What does the No Cost Spay & Neuter Program include?
Services provided free of charge include:
- Spay or neuter surgery for cats and dogs.
- Post operative painkillers.
- A microchip.
- Post-operative medication (at the discretion of the Clinic veterinarian).
- An Elizabethan collar (at the discretion of the Clinic veterinarian).
Veterinary care unrelated to the surgery is not included in the No Cost program.
To access our No Cost Spay and Neuter program, please apply online now.
Other Low-Cost Spay/Neuter Programs
Spay Neuter Assistance Program (SNAP)
- MEOW Foundation (cats only) – email email@example.com or visit www.meowfoundation.com under Programs to apply online.
Low Cost Spay/Neuter Clinics
- Deerfoot South Spay, Neuter and Wellness Clinic: http://www.spayneutercalgary.ca.
- Calgary Pet Wellness and Spay/Neuter Clinic: http://calgaryspayandneuter.ca.
For more information about The City’s no-cost pay or neuter program or the Fair Entry Program, and if you need translation assistance, please contact 311.