Zig-zag start and stop game
Try this activity in the house or outside! You can do it by yourself or with a partner.
Safety Tip: Make sure you find an open space so you can move freely without slipping or hitting anything.
- 6-8 pylons or cones (if you don't have any, use any item that will stay still; e.g. jars, shoes, stuffed animals, books)
- Comfortable clothes to run around in
Place your pylons or other items in a straight line with about a metre between each item.
Start by standing at one end of your line. Either to the right or left of your object. Stand with both feet together.
Walk to the opposite side of the next object. E.g. if you started on the right side, walk to the left side of the next object.
Once you reach the next object, stop with both feet side by side, then continue.
Complete this movement until you reach the end of your line.
Use the same movements to go back to the start of your line, but this time you run!
Tip: to make it even more difficult, bring your objects a little closer together!
Do the same movements again, but this time stop on one foot. When you go to the next object, stop on the other foot.
Tip: try to stop with your outside foot. This will help maintain your balance.
- Time yourself! Try and get through your lineup as fast as you can!
- Maybe add a jump, turn or spin every time you stop! Or, ask your siblings or parents to yell "jump" or "touch your toes" every time you come to a stop.
- What else can you think of? What could you do to make this a little easier, or maybe even a little more difficult?