Make your own snow and ice crystals
Sometimes our winters don’t give us a lot of snow to play with. When you don’t have natural snow, try making your own! What kinds or amounts of ingredients make the most realistic feeling snow? Is it too sticky or too dry?
- Baking Soda
- Shaving cream
- Shampoo or conditioner
- Large bowl or container
- Mix different amounts and types of ingredients together.
- Use your problem solving skills to adjust the mixture so it feels more realistic.
- Get your hands dirty and play with your mixture!
- Hot water
- Salt or Borax (supervise when Borax is used with children; keep away from eyes and skin)
- Food colouring
- Pipe cleaners - bend to make shapes
- String or yarn
- Popsicle stick, skewer, chopstick, pen or pencil
- Large bowl or cup
- Empty can, container or jar
- Fill an empty jar, container, large bowl or cup with hot water.
- Add salt or Borax and stir or shake it to dissolve. You can add food colouring if you wish.
- Hang a shaped pipe cleaner, piece of yarn or string on a popsicle stick.
- Lay the popsicle stick across the top of the jar so the pipe cleaner or string is in the water.
- Wait for crystals to form!