Reader Rock Garden bookings
Just a short distance from downtown, Reader Rock Garden provides a beautiful setting for your wedding, picnic, meeting, family gathering or other outdoor event. Call us at 311 or submit an online form to discuss your booking needs.
Due to the fragile surroundings of this historic site, only a limited number of events can be held during the summer months (May 1 - September 30) and must take place prior to 11 a.m. or after 2 p.m.
- Meetings/events can be booked during regular business hours from 8 a.m. - 4 p.m. Hours can be extended for an extra fee.
- Bookings can only be requested for the current calendar year. Bookings open October 1 for the next year.
- Only one special event is permitted within the Garden at a time to ensure public access remains available.
- All visitors must stay on pathways or lawned areas.
- Public parking is available on the west side of the garden with access from 25 Ave. S.E. There are limited spaces available and groups must walk to Reader House using the available paths. A disabled parking spot is available beside the Reader House. We recommend using public transit to the Erlton/Stampede station with a short walk to the garden.
- Chairs are permitted (but not provided) on the Main Lawn, Nana's Garden and the Western Slope. Rental orders must be approved prior to event.
- Food and beverage service can be booked directly through Reader's Garden Cafe at 403-234-0065.
- Reader Rock Garden encourages environmentally sustainable meetings and events. Please read the green event guidelines for information on how to "green" up your booking.
- All bookings are subject to approval.
|Main Lawn||80 people, seated or standing||$700|
|Lower Lawn (West Garden)||80 people, standing only||$500|
|Upper Garden (Nana's Garden)||50 people, seated or standing||$400|
|Western Slope Garden||80 people, seated or standing||$500|
*Three hour booking, includes set-up, take-down and photography contract. Risk Management Fee will apply.
|Potato Room (inside Reader House)||25 people seated||$75/hr (8 a.m. - 4 p.m., Monday to Friday)
$125/hr (after hours)
* 25% discount for registered not-for-profit groups. Risk Management Fee will apply.
Weddings & Special Events
- See Spaces and Rates for area fees.
- $150 non-refundable deposit is required at time of booking to hold a specific date.
- 50% of the booking amount is due 14 days from when the booking contract is confirmed.
- Remaining 50% amount is due 60 days prior to the event.
- Should the event take place less than 14 days from confirmation, full payment is required at time of booking.
- Bookings do not include access to the Potato Room or use of the Bride's Room in the cafe. Contact the cafe manager at 403-234-0065 directly for Bride's Room availability.
If a contract is cancelled with more than 60 days notice, entire payment is refunded minus the deposit. If the contract is cancelled with less than 60 days notice, no refunds will be given.
Confirmation of Details:
Event details must be confirmed with Calgary Parks staff a minimum of four weeks in advance of the event date. Should event take place less than 14 days from confirmation, a guest number is required immediately.
Damages incurred during the event will be invoiced following the event.
Meetings (Potato Room)
- See Spaces and Rates for room rental rates.
- Full payment of booking contract is due 14 days after the contract is confirmed.
- Should event take place less than 14 days from confirmation, full payment is required at time of booking.
- Payment options: Visa, MasterCard or cheque
If booking is cancelled with more than five business days notice, a full refund minus a $20 cancellation fee will be given. If booking is cancelled with less than five days notice, no refunds will be given. All cancellations must be done in writing.
Confirmation of Details:
Room set up and meeting details must be confirmed with Calgary Parks staff a minimum of 14 days in advance of the booking date.
Damages incurred at the time of the booking will be invoiced following the booking.
- All bookings must adhere to the special event guidelines and parks bylaws.
- Approved contract must be on site on the day of booking/event.
- Activities are restricted to those indicated on the contract.
- Restaurant area is excluded from all bookings - including photography.
- There is no storage on site and advance drop off of materials is not permitted. All items are to be delivered and picked up on the same day.
- The contract holder is responsible for any meeting/event related damaged to the garden/facility and removal of any excess waste (fines will apply).
- Calgary Parks is not responsible for loss or damages. We reserve the right to limit and/or decline bookings.
Adhering to the following rules will ensure the protection of Reader Rock Garden's valuable plant collection and historical features.
- Garden visitors must exercise caution at all times due to the sloped and uneven nature of the pathways. Please wear appropriate footwear.
- It is prohibited to disturb any part of the garden including plant collection, seed collection, fruit or flower picking and removal of any plants.
- Stay on designated trails and grassy areas of the garden at all times.
- Animals in the garden are wild - do not disturb or feed them.
- Pets are not permitted in the garden.
- Be considerate of all other visitors to the garden.
- Active sports (including frisbee, soccer, lawn darts etc.) are not permitted.
- Use of generators, floating/flying lanterns, open flame, rose petals, bird seed, rice, confetti, balloons, bubbles and bubble machines are not permitted.
- Staking of tents is not allowed. Runners, carpets, mats, dance floors or other items that block airflow to the grass are not permitted.
Reader Rock Garden provides a beautiful backdrop for engagement, wedding or family photos. A photo contract must be purchased prior to taking photos in the Gardens and the contract holder must have the contract with them on the day. Bookings are taken on a first come, first serve basis. Bookings open October 1 for the following season.
Note: All wedding bookings include a photo contract.
Public Photos in the Garden - $50/hr
- Available daily, May 1 - September 30
- Maximum three hours per booking
The general public will continue to have access to all areas of the Garden. This contract does not provide exclusive access to any portion of the Garden.
Private Photos in the Garden - $100/hr
- Available daily, May 1 - September 30
- Exclusive use of one area. Area will be blocked off for your use.
- Maximum two hours per booking