We love to see Calgarians act as environmental stewards by organizing small, family litter cleanups in their neighbourhood. Our free The Litter Cleanup (TLC) Kits are available to help with cleanups and have all the supplies needed.
Choose a favourite park or green space to clean in your community or tidy up while on a walk. Earth Day (April 22), World Environment Day (June 5) and The City’s Pathway and River Cleanup (September 17 -19) are great days to do this but remember, any day is a great day to help keep our communities clean and healthy.
Each TLC Kit contains enough supplies (gloves and garbage bags, etc.) for up to six people in your household. Please note, at this time, we will provide one TLC kit per household.
Be sure to share photos of your cleanup in action, including interesting finds and your community spirit on social media - Post to our Facebook page, or tweet and/or share on Instagram using #yyccleans.
TLC Kit pick-up locations WHILE SUPPLIES LAST
Face coverings must be worn in City of Calgary facilities and we ask you maintain at least 2 metres (the length of a bicycle) from others. Please adhere to current provincial guidelines and stay home if:
- you’re showing symptoms or feeling unwell
- you have travelled outside of Canada in the past 14 days
- you are a close contact of someone who has tested positive or are waiting for test results for COVID-19
You can pick up TLC Kits daily from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Inglewood Bird Sanctuary, 2425 – 9 Ave. S.E.
NOTE: Buildings may be closed due to restrictions. Please ring doorbell for service.
Tell us about your cleanup
After your cleanup, please complete this form to tell us more about your cleanup.
Tips for a successful day
Please follow these guidelines. The health, safety and well-being of our citizens is of top priority. We encourage all to do the following:
- Wash your hands frequently: Use hand sanitizer when you can’t wash your hands with soap and warm water. We encourage you to do this at the beginning and end of a litter cleanup at minimum.
- Respect physical distancing: Cleanups are NOT intended as a group initiative. The TLC kits are for individual/family use. Maintain physical distancing of 2 meters from others.
- Catch your germs: Cover your mouth and nose when you cough or sneeze by using the inside of your elbow or your shoulder.
- Avoid touching your face: Keep your hands away from your eyes, ears, nose and mouth while performing this activity.
- DO NOT pick up face masks, or gloves.
- Stay home if you are feeling sick: If you are experiencing, fever, cough, difficulty breathing or other flu like symptoms, stay home and away from others. If you have questions or concerns about your health contact Health Link 811.
Before your cleanup
- Dress appropriately for the weather.
- Wear sturdy, closed-toed footwear.
- Bring a hat, sunscreen, water and insect repellent.
- Review the layout of your cleanup area.
- Always work with a partner and maintain physical distancing of 2 meters from others.
- Wear protective gloves at all times.
- Do not touch unknown items, syringes, glass or other sharp objects. Contact 311 to report their location.
- Do not compress garbage or reach into containers with hands or feet.
- Leave natural materials behind (leaves, deadwood, bones, etc).
- Do not wade into bodies of water to retrieve items.
- If working near a pathway, be careful of cyclists, runners and walkers.
- Do not remove large items (bikes, tires, sleeping bags, etc). Contact 311 to report their location.
- Do not enter illegal camps. Contact 311 to report their location.
- Take breaks. Drink water and wash or sanitize your hands before having a snack.
- Have fun!
After your cleanup
- Place bags beside existing City of Calgary garbage cans, if possible, or group bags together and place them one metre off a paved (asphalt) pathway for pick up by City staff.
- Call 311 to report the location of your bags or return to this page and complete the form above.
- The information below instructs the proper way to remove gloves:
Thanks to presenting sponsor, ConocoPhillips Canada, for their continued support of The Litter Cleanup Kits.