Building permit fee calculator - Multi-family High Rise
Building permit fee calculator for additions and new high rise non-combustible apartments.
Step 1: calculate prevailing market value
PREVAILING MARKET VALUE (PMV) MEANS THE VALUATION PLACED BY THE PERMIT ISSUER ACCORDING TO SECTION 188.8.131.52 OF THE BUILDING CODE ON THE COST OF CONSTRUCTING AND FINISHING A BUILDING. AN INDEPENDENT, THIRD-PARTY CONSULTANT DETERMINES THE PREVAILING MARKET VALUE.
184.108.40.206. DIVISION C220.127.116.11. PERMIT FEES
- PERMIT FEES AND APPLICATION PROCEDURES SHALL BE AS ESTABLISHED BY REGULATION OR BYLAW MADE PURSUANT TO THE SAFETY CODES ACT.
- THE AUTHORITY HAVING JURISDICTION MAY PLACE A VALUATION ON WORK FOR THE PURPOSE OF DETERMINING FEES.
Step 2: calculate base permit fee
Prevailing market value (PMV) rounded up to the next $100
Step 3: add additional fees and surcharges
Base permit fee
Partial permit rate
Alterations: this form is for additions and new buildings only. For alterations, use the Building Permit Fee Calculation - Commercial form
Authority: this form summarizes the fees collected with Building Permits and should be used for convenience only. For official fees, reference the Calgary Building Permit Bylaw 64M94.
Living Area and Mixed Uses: include developed living area, public corridors, lobbies/lounges, service rooms, storage rooms, ancillary rooms, all associated recreational amenity uses and future shell tenant spaces (ground floor; e.g., retail/office). This form applies to buildings that are primarily residential in use. Residential use includes amenity spaces developed to serve the residential dwelling units. Mixed uses are permitted on the ground floor only. For buildings with more extensive mixed uses, use the Building Permit Fee Calculation - Commercial form.
Safety Codes Council fees: for the purpose of the Safety Codes Council fee, the base permit and the partial permit, if requested, are considered two separate items. The municipality will collect the Safety Codes Council fee for each permit, base permit and partial permit, issued under the authority of the Safety Codes Act.
Prevailing market value - Includes the following items
- Sub-structure (Foundations, Excavation, Special Conditions)
- Structure (lowest floor, upper floors and roof construction)
- Exterior Enclosure (walls below grade, walls above grade, Windows and Entrances, Roof Covering, Projections)
- Partitions and Doors
- Fittings and Equipment (Fitting and Fixtures, Equipment, Elevators)
- Mechanical (Plumbing and Drainage, Fire Protection, HVAC including Controls)
- Electrical (Service and Distribution, Lighting Devices and Heating, Systems and Ancillary)
General Requirements, Profit and Allowances
- General Site Requirements (site supervision, temporary site offices and toilets, garbage removal, temporary water and power, temporary site access roads, utility maintenance during construction, winter heat/protection, site safety and security, general constractor’s liabililty insurance, bonding)
- General Contractor’s Profit
- Design and Pricing Allowance ( a contingency to allow for design flexibility during contract document stage)
- Construction Allowance (allows for changes during construction – change orders)
Prevailing market value - Excludes the following items
- Land Acquisition costs
- Development charges
- Legal Fees and expenses
- Right of Way charges
- Easement costs
- Financing costs or Fundraising costs
- Owners staff and management cost ( note - contractor cost and staff ARE to be included in prevailing market value)
- Relocation costs
- Professional Design fees and expenses
- Hazardous waste removal
- Kitchen equipment except for restaurants/food service establishments
- Maintenance equipment
- Loose furniture, furnishings and equipment
- Special audio, visual or security equipment
- Window treatments
- Site Development and Servicing costs
- Market allowance for uncompetitive bidding & over competitive bidding
- Escalation allowance
Planning Services Centre
We’re currently experiencing higher than seasonal application volumes, we apologize for delays. To check the status of your permit, go to vista.calgary.ca and enter in your Job Access Code (JAC) number
Monday - Friday
8 a.m. - 4:15p.m. (MT)
Whitehorn Multi-Services Centre
3705 35 Street N.E.