Alert | Mandatory outdoor water restrictions in effect - critical water main break affecting city-wide usage

City-wide indoor and outdoor water restrictions are in place. A fire ban is in effect. The boil water advisory has been lifted.

More information

Development Map – Development permit application search

Development Map

Development permit application search tool

Your input on proposed developments and land use applications is an essential part of our approval process at The City.

Have your say about proposed developments

Before you give feedback on a planning application, use to learn more about what is being proposed, understand the details and know when and what you can comment on.

On this map, you’ll find all the active land use and development applications for Calgary. You’ll also be able to access the plans that have been submitted to The City with a development application. 

Using the Development Map

You can search for a development application by:

  • Address
  • Reference/permit number (found on a notification)
  • Community name or ward number
  • Zooming into an area of interest on the map itself

Once you’ve found the application, click the details button to learn more about the status of the application and view the plans that have been submitted to The City of Calgary. The plans will help you identify any impact on surrounding properties and the community.

Using the search bar

Type an address, reference / permit number, or community name into the search bar at the top left of the map, and push enter.

Using the zoom tool

Use the plus and minus signs on the left hand side of the map to zoom in to the area of the map that you’re interested in. You can also use your scroll button on your mouse to zoom in and out. 

Using the filter tool found in the map legend

Use the filter tool in the legend to see specific types of planning applications.

Click the checkboxes to turn each filter on or off.

Note: when you select an application type make sure the filter above is also selected (as shown by the red arrow below). For example, if parks and schools aren’t highlighted on the map but the Category filter is selected, then select the Land Use Designations (Zoning) filter as well.

Viewing details of the application

When you’ve found an application, click on it to see the application summary. Click the details button (shown below) to see detailed information on the application.

Why can I only see some of the application information that has been submitted?

Understanding the details screen

The screen that opens will look like the one below. Use the tabs to learn more about the application and to submit your comments.

Note: the commenting button is only available on applications where a decision on the application has not been made. For more information, see why can't I see the comment button on an application?

Providing feedback about proposed applications

Public input on development and land-use applications is an essential part of The City’s approval process. You can now provide your input on developments that matter to you by simply visiting the Development Map at a time and location that’s convenient. The City is listening and working hard to innovate the planning process by creating tools that enable you to participate in an easy and meaningful way.

You can share your thoughts on a proposed application directly with a file manager overseeing the application. For a comment to be considered, it must be:

  • Submitted in writing through the Development Map or by sending a letter to the file manager listed in the contact us tab.
  • Submitted when the commenting period is open.

Note: the type of feedback The City of Calgary is hoping to get from citizens depends on the application, the stage it is currently at, and what is being proposed. For more information contact Planning & Development.


Contact us

Planning Services Centre

Hours: Monday - Friday, 8 a.m. - 4:15 p.m.
Live chat:
Web: Planning Services Centre

Development approvals review team

Find development approvals review team staff to contact about specific applications.

Participate in shaping our city infographic

Frequently asked questions

Why was the Development Map created?

The Development Map was created to enable citizens and community associations to provide comments on planning applications in their communities in a more easily accessible and convenient manner.

The City can then use these comments to provide applicants with direction on their application.

This is expected to lead to better development outcomes in communities and may lead to buildings that better reflect important community values and the character of the neighbourhood.

What are the benefits of the Development Map?

  • Enables you to see development permit application plans/renderings without submitting a service request to Property Research.  ​
  • Final approved plans will be posted to allow you to see how the development changed based on feedback from interested parties, including citizen comments.
  • Makes it more easily accessible and convenient to participate in the planning process.
  • Enables you to provide your personal comments directly to the file manager without the assistance of someone from the community association. 
  • Allows you to follow progress on an application, see the status, and know if and when there are public meetings that you can watch or participate in. 

Will the Development Map replace the current methods of communicating about development applications?

The Development Map is an additional resource created to enhance current circulation, notification, and outreach practices.  It is critical that citizens continue to be informed and have channels through which to view, understand, and offer feedback on development applications that may impact their communities.

We will continue to post signage (notice postings) on or near sites where a land use or development application has been received by The City with the intention of encouraging the public to learn more and to provide their thoughts.

Additionally, we will continue to provide notice to community associations through the circulation process.

How long is a development application available on the Development Map?

The application information will stay on the mapping system for approximately two years. However, plans and renderings that have been submitted with an application will only be available for viewing from the time of submission and for a few weeks following the decision date. To view application plans outside this timeframe please contact

Why can’t I see the comment button on an application?

  1. The commenting period is not open. If the comment button is not available, the application is not within the comment period set out by either the Municipal Government Act (MGA) or the Land Use Bylaw (LUB)

  2. A decision has already been made on the application (approved/refused). You can check to see if this is the case by clicking on the Details button on the application and then using the Status button to view the current status of the application. When the decision/outcome box is checked that means a decision has been made and the commenting period is now closed. 

Why can I only see some of the application information that has been submitted?

Some information is not permitted to be shown publicly as per our Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy (FOIP) policy. An example of this is, an applicant or homeowner’s personal information.

The plans and renderings that are shared provide information to help you understand how a development may impact you and your community. The intention of making the plans and renderings available is to help you understand how a development may impact you or your community. 

You will only see the plans that are considered relevant to the engagement process. For example, you will see the exterior plans for a new home but the internal plans, which may include the number of bedrooms, are not included.

This information will not be shared as interested parties, including The City, cannot legally comment on how individuals choose to build out their dwelling space. 

Who do I contact if I need help understanding the application?

For questions about land use redesignations (rezonings), Development permits, building permits, and business licensing:

Planning Services Centre
(403) 268-5311

For more information about a specific application, contact the file manager using the contact us tab in the detailed application information.

Other resources

Land Use Bylaw - commonly used terms

Land use redesignations

Each property within the City of Calgary is associated with a land use district (commonly known as zones). Each district outlines a list of uses a property can be (like a home, or a retail shop), as well as what can be built on the land. If a property owner wishes to use the property in a way that’s not listed in their zone, they can apply for a land use redesignation for City Council’s approval.  

The land use redesignation process enables the public to have input on this type of applications submitted to The City, which helps to inform the recommendation that is presented to the Calgary Planning Commission (CPC) – a commission who acts as the Development Authority for these matters. The CPC puts forward their recommendation to City Council and a Public Hearing is scheduled, where the general public can give feedback on the application. City Council is the only governing body that has the authority to approve, or refuse, this type of application, as outlined in the Municipal Government Act.

Note: The City of Calgary can also apply for land use redesignations (for both City and privately-owned properties). In most cases, when The City’s interested in rezoning an area that is not City-owned, it involves several properties and would be contact each property owner directly.

For additional information, the land use redesignation process is outlined in the Municipal Government Act and The City’s Land Use Bylaw.

Development Permit (DP)

Development Permits are applied for when a property owner would like to change the existing building or use of the building, which can include intensifying an existing use. This application type allows for The City to review the existing conditions, identify potential impacts due to the change, involve impacted parties to consider their concerns, and ensure that changes align with any City or community policies and objectives. Development Permits refer to the rules and regulations found in the Land Use Bylaw but can also consider City planning policies. Common applications can include: 

  • Change of use (example – when a retail store changes to a medical office)
  • Relaxations
  • New buildings (any new building would require a Development Permit)
  • Large scale site drainage changes

Permitted versus discretionary uses

Within the Land Use Bylaw, use’s fall under two categories; permitted or discretionary.

Permitted uses are uses that complement each other or are anticipated to work together. For example, in residential areas, both residential homes and garages/sheds are both listed as permitted uses. Unless a relaxation to the rules is requested, The City cannot consider additional City or community policies, and community feedback, nor can they use discretion on the outcome. If a project falls under a permitted use and does not require any relaxations, then it must be approved. Relaxation may be requested, though the relaxation allows for City discretion, public feedback and policies to be considered.

Discretionary uses are uses that may work well with the permitted uses, however depending on the site and site conditions, the use may not work. The City may review community and City policies, as well as community feedback in order to determine if a discretionary use should be approved. The City may impose their professional planning discretion to ensure a positive outcome. For example, a bed and breakfast is listed as a discretionary use in a residential area. This use of a home fits within the context of residential streets however it may require more onsite parking or privacy screening to ensure there is no negative impacts on the neighbouring properties. The City may use their discretion to review the plans and request changes that would ensure the change would have minimal impact on the neighbours.


Relaxations occur when a project is requesting to go above and beyond the standard rules/requirements of that area or use. Typically, this is applied for due to abnormal site conditions. For example, in residential areas the typical side yard of a house is 1.2m (4'). Older homes did not have this requirement, therefore may have been built closer to a side property line. If this homeowner were to build a deck off the back of their home inline with their house, they would have to request a relaxation as decks are required to also be 1.2m (4’) away from a property. By granting this relaxation The City would be determining that the deck makes sense to be able to go closer to the property line as it would align with the home and allow the homeowner to utilize their property in a typical manner.

Note: a use identified as Contextual cannot request a relaxation.

Calgary Planning Commission (CPC)

Calgary Planning Commission (CPC) is a committee of councillors and peers that makes recommendations on land use redesignation and road naming applications and is the decision authority for outline plans and major development permit applications. These meetings can be viewed by everyone, but the public must wait until the Council public hearing to send letters or speak.

Public hearing

Public hearings are a form of public engagement that allows the public/impacted parties to speak in front of council for 5 mins to voice their comments/concerns. Only specific planning files require a public hearing – Land Use Redesignations. A public hearing would take place at a Council meeting and any persons wishing to speak will have opportunity to speak, which means this overall form of engagement has no defined timeframe. 

Advertising period

Applications that require The City to use discretion in their decisions are required to have their outcome advertised. This allows the public/ impacted parties to be notified of The City’s decision. This advertising period is stipulated by the Municipal Government Act (MGA) and would identify where the decision or the conditions of the decision would be appealed to. 

Appeals period (Pending appeal)

Once The City makes a decision on an application, the decision or conditions imposed on the decision can be appealed by either the impacted people(s) or the applicant(s). Appeals are submitted to one or two appeals boards; Municipal Government Board (MGB) or the Subdivision and Development Appeal Board (SDAB). The appeal board will be identified as part of the required Advertising Period

Planning application

A planning application can come in many different forms; Land Use Redesignations, Outline Plans, Development Permits and Subdivisions. These application types will work towards setting policy that guides the potential of a property, separate land into smaller titled parcels, or even identify the specifics as to what an applicant is looking to build and how they want to use the property. 

Direct Control (DC)

Direct Controls are a way to designate property so that it must follow a specific set of rules, regulations or uses that don’t apply anywhere else in the city. They can be used for projects and uses that require an extremely high level of regulation such as a zoo, sawmill, or firing-range. 

Contextual dwellings

Contextual single detached and contextual semi-detached dwellings are types of homes built within older residential communities (typically built before 2008) and follow rules that keep a similar look and feel as the street. When designated as contextual (e.g. a dwelling designated RC-1 Residential Contextual – One Dwelling Unit), it is identified as permitted use and affects the public’s ability to appeal. 

Permitted use

If the building’s design follows all the rules in the Land Use Bylaw, it is considered a contextual dwelling and permitted use. The development application must be approved by The City and the public can not appeal it. The public can still make comments on contextual dwellings but they do not affect the overall outcome of the application.

Discretionary use

Discretionary use means an applicant is asking for a relaxation on Land Use Bylaw rules, or the property includes a substantial change in height. Any relaxation of rules means the development application is not a contextual dwelling. The City and the public can comment on the use of the building, and how the design may impact policies and the community, which are taken into consideration in the approval of the application. The public can appeal the outcomes to discretionary-use applications.

Overview of contextual applications 

Understanding the contextual rules

Specific rules apply to contextual single detached and contextual semi-detached dwellings. These regulations allow for a full range of architectural styles and building forms, from traditional to contemporary designs. The design must follow the rules in the Land Use Bylaw for building elements like front façades (known as articulation, which govern how much a front façade can project or recess from the building), upper storeys, windows, balconies, setbacks and landscaping.

Contextual dwellings are allowed in most low-density land use districts within a developed area (older residential communities built before 2008). Dwellings that are contextual will have one of the following district designations:

Designation District definition

R-C1L, R-C1Ls

Residential – Contextual Large Parcel One Dwelling District

R-C1L is a residential designation in developed areas that is primarily for single detached homes on large parcels.

R-C1Ls is a residential designation in developed areas that is primarily for single detached homes on large parcels where homes may include a secondary suite.

R-C1, R-C1s

Residential – Contextual One Dwelling District

R-C1 is a residential designation in developed areas that is primarily for single detached homes.

R-C1s is a residential designation in developed areas that is primarily for single detached homes that may include a secondary suite.


Residential – Contextual Narrow Parcel One Dwelling District

R-C1N is a residential designation in developed areas that is primarily for single detached homes on narrow or small parcels where homes may include a secondary suite.


Residential – Contextual One/ Two Dwelling District

R-C2 is a residential designation in developed areas that is primarily for single detached, side-by-side and duplex homes. Single detached and side-by-side homes may include a secondary suite

Properties that slope significantly on a steep hill are not qualified for contextual dwelling, but can still make a discretionary dwelling application.

Neighbouring (adjacent) buildings

Buildings on either side of a proposed development establish contextual rules like maximum height and depth a building can be, and also how near to the street a new building may be located.

Property lines

For corner properties, the front property line is always the shortest of the two property lines facing a public street (no matter which street the house faces or is addressed). When those two property lines are equal, the municipal address determines which one is the front property line.

​Where a block is curved, properties are irregular shaped or there are less than two adjacent properties, determining the correct adjacent buildings for contextual rules can be difficult. File manager at The City can assist applicants in determining the correct method.  

Parcel coverage

Parcel coverage is the total area of buildings located on the property. For contextual dwellings, this lot coverage depends on the district the building is in. 

Maximum parcel coverage by district

R-C1, R-C1s and R-C2: 45% 
R-C1L and R-C1Ls: 40% 
R-C1N: 45% or 50%, if the parcel has an area less than 300m2 and a width less than 10 m.

Tree planting requirements

Trees are not required to be shown a​t the time of permit approvals but must be planted within a year of the development completion permit (a permit that allows The City’s Development Inspectors to inspect that a structure was built according to its development permit), so future homeowners can landscape their private yards. Trees can be existing or new, and the number required is based on the dwelling type and property width.

Dwelling type Property width Required trees

Single detached

Over 10 m

10 m or less





2 per unit

To encourage preservation of mature trees, existing trees on the property of a minimum size count towards fulfilling the requirements:

  • ​A deciduous tree 60 mm in diameter or a coniferous tree 2 m high = 1 tree 
  • A deciduous tree 85 mm in diameter or a coniferous tree 4 m high = 2 trees​

Deciduous trees are measured on the trunk, 0.3 m up from grade and coniferous trees are measured by height.

Disclaimers and legal information

The City of Calgary may post plans, architectural drawings, studies, reports and other copyrighted material associated with development applications online. This material is provided for the purpose of supporting citizen’s research into development work being done within Calgary. The City of Calgary does not authorize the use of this material for any other purpose.

The City of Calgary will make every effort to post new information on this website as the information becomes available. For additional information and status of individual applications, please contact the respective Planners assigned to individual applications.

The City of Calgary assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions contained in any of the information posted on this website. Reliance on information displayed on this website is solely at the user's risk. Information contained on this website is provided for convenience only. Some of the information contained on this website has not been created or endorsed by the City of Calgary. The City of Calgary therefore cannot guarantee that the information is accurate and up-to-date and free of items that may be harmful in nature. The City of Calgary shall not be held liable for any damages arising out of or in relation to this website, the websites contents and its function.

Utility disclaimer

The information provided in this interactive map is presented "as is" and The City of Calgary makes no representation as to its accuracy or reliability, and shall accept no responsibility or liability for any errors or incomplete information contained herein. This information must not be used for the purposes of surveying, locating utilities or other construction activities. Your usage of this website and accessing of the information contained herein shall be deemed to be your acknowledgement of these limitations, and shall also be deemed to be your consent to be bound by these terms and conditions.

FOIP statement

The personal information on this form is being collected under the authority of The Calgary Building Permit Bylaw 64M94 (Section 5) and amendments thereto, as well as section 33(c) of the FOIP Act.

This information is being collected for the purpose of permit review and inspection processes and may be communicated to relevant City Business Units, utility providers, and Alberta Health Services.

It may also be used to conduct ongoing evaluations of services received from Planning & Development. The name of the applicant and the nature of the permit will be available to the public through general inquiries, paid subscription reports for permit data and resources found online, as authorized by the FOIP Act.

You may direct questions about the collection, use or disclosure of your personal information by the City of Calgary at 800 Macleod Trail SE Calgary, Alberta in relation to this program by contacting the FOIP Program Administrator for Planning and Development through telephone at 403-268-5480 or by writing to PO Box 2100, Station M, Calgary, AB T2P 2M5.

Planning Services Centre

Monday - Friday
8 a.m. - 4:15 p.m. (MT)

Live chat:


In person: 
Planning Services Centre,
3rd floor, Municipal building 
800 Macleod Trail SE

Book an eAppointment for in person services at

This information has no legal status and cannot be used as an official interpretation of the various bylaws, codes and regulations currently in effect. The City of Calgary accepts no responsibility to persons relying solely on this information. Web pages are updated periodically. ​