Information | Rezoning for Housing

Public hearing on April 22, 2024. Proposed rezoning will support more housing options in all communities.

Learn more

An application must be submitted through the Calgary Rights-of-Way Management (CROWM) web application for any surface disturbance to City-owned or managed streets, lanes or Utility Rights-of-Way (URWs). This is required under the Streets Bylaw, and Rights-of-Way (ROW) Bylaw.

There is currently no fee for this application.

All shoring/back sloping applications must provide:

  • Authorization Letter from the client you are doing work for. The maximum size for this file is 10 MB.
  • Detailed plans, and cross sections of the shoring/back sloping indicating all utilities within City-owned or managed ROWs including:
    • offsets from property lines and/or lot lines;
    • depth and size of the disturbance, or clearing showing proposed tie-backs;
    • All drawings must be at 1:500 scale.
  • Drawings may be formatted as PDF for ease of application.

Applications can be submitted on The City of Calgary Block Profiles, or a similar product of equal scale (1:250, 1:500 or 1:1000 metric). Scanned images of existing block profiles are available through City Online.

Review process

Time required to review, and approve applications fluctuates with the workload, the number, and complexity of the applications submitted to the ROW Management Service via CROWM.

Once the review is complete, a system-generated notification will be e-mailed to you indicating the conditions of approval, or any revisions required.

Contact us

The City Mobility indemnification team have access to CROWM to review your Utility Line Assignment (ULA)/Utility Alignment Permit (UAP) application, as required to obtain an:

  • indemnification agreement (contact Calgary Mobility 403-268-2156)
  • excavation permit (403-268-4936).

This information has no legal status and cannot be used as an official interpretation of the various bylaws, codes and regulations currently in effect. The City of Calgary accepts no responsibility to persons relying solely on this information. Web pages are updated periodically. ​