Preparing in case of fire
- Ensure you have working smoke alarms on every level of your home, inside the bedrooms, and outside the sleeping area
- Test Smoke Alarms monthly, change batteries once a year and replace smoke alarms every 10 years
- Sleep with your doors closed at night. This will keep smoke out in the event of a fire and give you precious time to react.
- Extinguish all open flames before sleeping and you should not have candles in your bedroom.
- Ensure all cooking appliances are turned off and stored safely.
- Ensure all stairwells and exits are clear and accessible.
- Plan, draw and practice a Home Escape Plan.
Home escape plan
You should develop a Home Escape Plan with your family so that everyone knows what to if there is ever a fire in your home. Please see all the elements you'll need to complete your home escape plan.
High-rise building safety
High-rise building have special safety concerns that you should be aware of.
Secondary suite safety
Secondary suites in Calgary must comply with certain regulations in order to keep residents safe.