24/7 access for Critical Incident Services: 1-877-700-1424
Critical incident is any situation faced by a City employee or group of employees that causes unusual or strong emotional reactions that may interfere with the ability to function, either immediately or in the future.
Common examples of when to call Lifeworks for Critical Incident Services include:
- Assaults or threats to an employee.
- The serious injury or death of an employee at work, outside the workplace or after business hours.
- The death of a non-employee as a result of business operations.
- Significant workplace medical emergency or accident.
- Multi-casualty incidents.
- Natural disasters (floods, severe storms).
What should I do if a critical incident has occurred?
Call 1-877-700-1424 anytime, day or night.
LifeWorks will connect you to a Critical Incident Counsellor in Calgary who will provide appropriate critical incident services. This may include:
- On-scene support within two hours.
- Debriefings/structured group sessions done to mitigate or resolve the psychological stress associated with the event; they are conducted by a Critical Incident Counsellor and usually scheduled between 48-72 hours after the incident.
- Defusing/immediate interventions (within 24 hours); they are conducted by a trauma counsellor, but are less formal, shorter in duration and do not explore the emotional experience in the same depth as a debriefing.
- One-on-one meetings.
- Informal discussions.
- Supervisor/management coaching.
- Individual follow-up and referral.
Critical Incident Services do not replace:
- Incident investigation and reporting.
- Emergency and first-aid procedures.
- External communication procedures.
- Disability management processes.