Environmental construction operation (ECO) plans
While performing services on behalf of The City of Calgary, contractors share environmental responsibility. We require that contractors develop Environmental Construction Operations Plans (ECO Plans) to manage their environmental impacts on major construction projects as part of our environmental policy.
What is an ECO plan?
An ECO plan consists of written procedures on the protection measures that the contractor will follow to protect the environment. It also demonstrates how the contractor will comply with all applicable legislation, regulations and approvals during the project. The ECO plan is intended to answer these questions:
- What are the potential environmental issues on site?
- Who is responsible for dealing with these issues?
- What control measures are in place to minimize impacts and meet environmental requirements?
How to create an ECO plan
For more information on creating an ECO plan, please refer to our reference guides:
- ECO Plan Framework Municipal Version 2020 Edition
- ECO Plan Checklist Municipal Version 2020 Edition
- Construction Waste Disposal Diversion Report (Form)
- 2020 ECO Plan Framework: Frequently Asked Questions
- ECO Plan Template 2020 (This PDF form is optimized for Adobe Reader. Please download the form to your desktop and use Adobe Reader to complete)
- ECO Plan Template Instructions
For informational purposes:
The ECO plan is one of the procedures involved in adhering to the Environmental Construction Operations (ECO) Plan Policy.