She Governs: Participating in Municipal Leadership
For 2022, the She Governs program was a model council and virtual panel event that gave young women access to elected officials and governance leaders at The City of Calgary. The objective of the She Governs program is to inspire young women to get involved in the political process by giving them the opportunity to become familiar with political institutions and those serving them locally.
The City of Calgary and Equal Voice Calgary invited anyone who identified as a woman in Grades 9–12 to participate in some FREE activities.
The event has concluded for 2022 but you can view the recording of the panel session and keep an eye out for next year’s event!
Who: Anyone who identifies as a young woman in Calgary (grades 9 to 12)
Date: Monday March 7, 2022
Time: The model council begins at 8:30 a.m., the virtual panel begins at 11:15 a.m.
Location: Both events will be delivered online via Microsoft Teams
Students were welcome to apply for the model council and register for the panel event.
Panel event – 11:15 a.m.
Young women in Calgary (grades 9 to 12), teachers, and classrooms, were invited to register to attend a live virtual panel where they could ask questions of City leaders and meet with other civically engaged youth.
Join panelists while they share their experiences in becoming leaders and answer questions from participants.
Councillor Sonya Sharp, Ward 1
Councillor Jennifer Wyness, Ward 2
Councillor Jasmine Mian, Ward 3
Councillor Kourtney Penner, Ward 11
Model council – 8:30 a.m.
Young women applied to participate in a model council with elected officials and governance leaders at The City of Calgary. 15 young women across Calgary were selected to participate. Selected participants assumed the role of a Member of Council and went through a ‘mock’ Council meeting process, with the opportunity to debate, provide amendments to motions and vote on the motions. Model council provided students with a unique opportunity to understand the responsibilities of our elected officials at City Hall. Upon participating in model council, participants received a certificate of completion.
How you can get involved
About She Governs
In partnership with the City of Calgary, Equal Voice Calgary aims to equip and inspire young women to participate in the political sphere in the years and decades to come.
The objective of the She Governs initiative is to inspire young women to get involved in the political process by giving emerging female leaders within Calgary the opportunity to become familiar with the political institutions and those serving them locally.
- Expose local young female leaders to municipal politics and the governance roles at The City of Calgary to encourage more women to get involved in politics now and in the future.
- Provide a forum for female councilors to discuss how they have broken through the barriers that women often face in elected politics.
- Provide an opportunity for young female leaders to ask questions of political and administrative leadership.
- Create an understanding of the opportunity to influence governance through Boards, Committees, and Commissions and administration’s role in supporting Council’s vision.
- Foster an enthusiasm, excitement and desire for involvement in elected politics.
- And ultimately, to encourage more young women to run for office.