Digital Service Squad Program
Are you busy enough just running your small business, with no time to make that great web page, social media plan or a hundred other things? Help is on the way with the Digital Service Squad (DSS).
We’ve hired a team of post-secondary students who can help small businesses get online, digitize and monetize, for free. The Service Squads will offer one-on-one assistance to eligible small businesses across Calgary.
The Digital Service Squad can help you adopt new technologies and embrace digital marketing. The program is open throughout 2022, but small business operators should sign up as early as possible.
1-on-1 support from a DSS member could soon be within reach. Sign up today.
Eligible small businesses
To be eligible you must be:
- Located in Calgary.
- Registered in Alberta.
- 0 to 49 employees (can include self-employed business owners with no employees).
- Home-based or commercial business.
- Non-profits, charitable trusts, and franchises.
How to sign up
- Sign up by creating an account at Digital Main Street.
- Enter brief business information.
- Filll out the digital assessment when you create your account – or we can do it with you later.
- Once signed up, you will be contacted by a DSS Squad member in a few weeks.
Approx. 1 min
Enter brief business information
Approx. 3 min
Complete digital assessment or we can help you with it later
Approx. 5 min
A DSS Squad member will contact you in a few weeks about eligibility and next steps
Frequently Asked Questions
Depending on the recommendations from your team member:
- 1-on-1 digital transformation support.
- Social media strategy.
- Build a basic website.
- Google My Business set up support.
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO).
- Set up of a Point of Sale (POS) solution.
- Create customer databases.
- Streamline business processes with digital tools.
Similar programs are being offered throughout Alberta. Sign-ups ensure that local Calgary small businesses qualify for the program and have opportunity to get the free support.
No, only basic contact information such as email, address and phone number are required for sign-up.
Yes, as long as you meet the program eligibility.
Businesses with one employer or owner/operator are eligible and can start with the first step of sign up.
Yes, home-based businesses are eligible, and you can start the sign-up process.
A digital assessment provides a snapshot of where your business is currently at using digital tools. We will use this assessment to determine the next steps for your digital transformation to best support your business.
Yes, after you register for the DSS, a team member can help you complete the digital assessment.
My business is currently enrolled in the ShopHere program; can I also sign up for the Digital Services Squad too?
Yes, eligible businesses can apply for either one or both programs, in no particular order.
Yes, a Squad team member will reach you to communicate the outcome of your application.
The DSS Squad team in Calgary will work diligently to contact businesses in the next few weeks.
- Business Link is Alberta’s small business hub and a non-profit organization that helps people navigate the steps toward starting their own businesses. Funding support is provided by the Governments of Alberta and Canada.
- Digital Main Street is a program and service that helps main street businesses achieve digital transformation. It began in Ontario and is offering its assistance across Canada.
There are Digital Service Squad programs outside Calgary. It's best to complete the sign-up at the Digital Main Street webpage. Once you are registered, a local Service Squad should get the notification and be in touch.
If the FAQs haven’t answered your questions, please get in touch.