Living Labs application
Is your company or organization looking to access The City’s Living Labs to help with product development or research? Contact us to find out next steps.
- Fill out the Living Labs Intake Form
- Email the form to us at LivingLabs@calgary.ca
Have questions? Contact us.
Let’s develop Calgary as a Living Lab together to increase opportunities for everyone. For more information, please email LivingLabs@calgary.ca
About Living Labs
The City owns many assets across our community. As a Living Lab, we aim to offer City infrastructure for companies, researchers and individuals to test and try ideas and products in a real-life environment.
Our first step begins with opening up infrastructure in a safe and secure manner.
Here are just a few examples of Living Labs we’ve implemented:
- Industrial land – drones flight area
- Roadways – first public facing autonomous vehicle pilot in Canada
- Calgary Film Centre – augmented reality demonstrations
- Warehouses – indoor GPS research and testing
- Devonian Gardens – IoT agriculture sensors (humidity, soil contents, lighting)
- Dark fibre – world-class quantum computing and fibre-as-a-sensor research
- LoRaWAN (long range, low power, wireless area network) – GPS asset tracking sensors
- Water flow meter – water sensor technology testing
A Living Lab supports increased economic diversification and jobs for Calgarians. It can help entrepreneurs bring big ideas to fruition, support investment in our local economy and make Calgary more business friendly. Some exciting experiments have already launched around Calgary, as The City works with industry and researchers to support their needs.
Living Labs will continue to develop new processes, policies and agreements while identifying risks and removing barriers to accelerate progress.
Partners in the media
University of Calgary teleport particle over City fibre network
Find out how university researchers are furthering their discoveries using City infrastructure. Read the Tech Times article Researchers beam light particle across fiber network, sets quantum teleportation record
Calgary Film Centre opens doors for augmented reality technology
VizworX, a Calgary-based world leader in augmented reality software leverages the resource space at the Calgary Film Centre. Read Calgary Economic Development's article Calgary becomes living lab for augmented reality.
Calgary is a Smart City
Find out how Living Labs helps Calgary be a Smart City by using innovation, data and connected technology to improve quality of life for Calgarians.
Learn more about Smart City