Art often has many purposes and meanings. For example, the video below shows an artwork that is meant to exist as more than a static object.
Find an artwork or cherished object in your home that you have had for a long time. Take a really close look at it and reflect on it.
To help, ask yourself some of these questions:
- How long have you had it?
- Has it moved with you from different homes, or cities?
- Was it passed down to you from anyone? What other homes or places has it lived in?
- Looking closely at it, are there any details about it you’ve never noticed before?
- Do you think it has changed in any way over time? What kind of a life has it lived?
- Do you ever use it as part of your daily life, for special occasions or as part of any ritual?
- If it had memory, what memories might it be storing?
- Do any of these things play a part in what makes it valuable to you?