Zig-zag start and stop game
Try this activity in the house or outside! You can do it by yourself or with a partner.
Safety Tip: Make sure you find an open space so you can move freely without slipping or hitting anything.
- 6-8 pylons or cones (if you don't have any, use any item that will stay still; e.g. jars, shoes, stuffed animals, books)
- Comfortable clothes to run around in
Place your pylons or other items in a straight line with about a metre between each item.
- Start by standing at one end of your line. Either to the right or left of your object. Stand with both feet together.
- Walk to the opposite side of the next object. E.g. if you started on the right side, walk to the left side of the next object.
- Once you reach the next object, stop with both feet side by side, then continue.
- Complete this movement until you reach the end of your line.
Use the same movements to go back to the start of your line, but this time you run!
Tip: to make it even more difficult, bring your objects a little closer together!
Do the same movements again, but this time stop on one foot. When you go to the next object, stop on the other foot.
Tip: try to stop with your outside foot. This will help maintain your balance.
- Time yourself! Try and get through your lineup as fast as you can!
- Maybe add a jump, turn or spin every time you stop! Or, ask your siblings or parents to yell "jump" or "touch your toes" every time you come to a stop.
- What else can you think of? What could you do to make this a little easier, or maybe even a little more difficult?