Programs for Schools – skating lessons
To request a skating lesson for your school call 403-366-3923.
Teachers, coordinate skating lessons for your students. Our instructors will teach your students a new skill while having fun.
Grades: Preschool, kindergarten, grades 1 – 12.
Location: Various Arenas based on ice availability.
Cost: $6 per child, per 45 minute lesson. Minimum number of lessons is five. At select locations rentals for skates and helmets is available at an additional charge.
To request a skating lesson for your school, contact: call 403-366-3923.
School skating lessons are confirmed on a first-come, first-served basis, based on ice availability and instructor availability.
About the programs
Our school skating lesson is similar to the Learn to Skate program as described on calgary.ca/liveandplay. Our program focuses on the basic fundamentals that are required to make skating a lifetime activity. Our instructors teach skating through games and fun activities. On the first day of classes, children are grouped according to ability with an instructor/child ratio of 1:10.
Some of the skills that may be incorporated into the games and activities are:
- The proper/safe way of falling down and getting up
- Scraping the ice
- ½ snowplow stop
- Forward and backward walking/striding
- Forward and backward one and two foot glides
Children must wear:
- Hockey helmet - helmet must be Canadian Safety Association (CSA) approved. Hockey helmet with full face cage is recommended. Bicycle helmets are NOT permitted. Refer to Participant Helmet Standards found at calgary.ca/recreationforms under skating.
- Lace-up skates - hockey skates are recommended over skates with buckles. Ensure skates are sharpened (new skates do not come sharpened).
- Gloves or mittens.
- Snow pants and jacket are recommended.
Teacher / Parent involvement
The school program skating lesson is designed with an instructor/child ratio of 1:10.
The school will be required to organize parent/guardian volunteers to assist with tying skates and putting on helmets. School volunteers may be required for on-ice support. Should the parent/guardian volunteers be requested by the instructor to assist on the ice, they are required to wear;
- Hockey helmet (recommended)
- Footwear - cleats over shoes (cleats provided)
- Gloves or mittens
Note: If a child requires a support staff/aide in school, they will also require this support on the ice.